Monday, October 1, 2012

Indispensible Character of a Youth Worker

I hope that I shall always possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain
what I consider that most enviable of all titles: the character of an honest man

(George Washington).

Someone asked me, “What does it take to be a good youth worker?” “What do you mean by good?” I asked him. “Ya know – do you have to be theologically sound? Speak fluently? Good communication skills? Bla.. bla…” I replied, “Yes, those are good if you have it, but one thing is indispensible: extreme honesty.”

Today’s youth generations have a very sensitive hypocrisy meter. They know when someone telling the truths or simply delivering white lies. Soon or later, they’ll know. They are not fool, they are smart. They can smell (I mean, the wise ones) when the do-gooders want to sell their products rather than loving people. Now, if you’re wonder, what does it take to serve and love our youths? My answer is – be extremely honest. A lifestyle that matches the teaching is worth more than all the programmes in the world. No doubt I’m a very persuasive speaker. I can present a very good material whenever I share the Word with youth students – no problem, but it’s not enough. It is the consistency of thought, word and deed in the life of youth worker (like you and me) that can gain the respect of them.

Be extremely honest. George Barna in his book Real Teens (Regal Books, 2001) writes, “Makes no bones about the fact that the reason for the group being together is to move them to know, love and serve Jesus Christ, and that success in the ministry is about the lives of teens being transformed into Christ’s likeness. These individuals [youth workers] are sensitive, caring, loving, committed, superb role models – but they are also incredibly up-front and unwavering about what motivates them to give up their time and energy for teens… this truthfulness builds respect and trust.”

Remember: Honestly build respect and trust. And ya know what? Our youths appreciate it! Youth workers; take out the mask of pretentious, stop hypocrisy and learning to be more – I say, learning, for we’re a learning creature – to be honest to our youths. They need godly, Christ-centered role models. Can you be one of the good influence role models for them to look up to?

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]