Tuesday, October 30, 2012

The Supremacy of God in Preaching by John Piper (Free Books for Christian Workers)

John Piper writes in his preface for The Supremacy of God in Preaching;


John Piper
People are starving for the greatness of God. But most of them would not give this diagnosis of their troubled lives. The majesty of God is an unknown cure. There are far more popular prescriptions on the market, but the benefit of any other remedy is brief and shallow. Preaching that does not have the aroma of God’s greatness may entertain for a season, but it will not touch the hidden cry of the soul: “Show me thy glory!”
Years ago during the January prayer week at our church, I decided to preach on the holiness of God from Isaiah 6. I resolved on the first Sunday of the year to unfold the vision of God’s holiness found in the first four verses of that chapter:

In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said: "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!" And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke” (ESV).

So I preached on the holiness of God and did my best to display the majesty and glory of such great and holy God. I gave not one word of application to the lives of the people. Application is essential in the normal course of preaching, but I felt led that day to make a test: Would the passionate portrayal of the greatness of God in and of itself meet the needs of people?

I didn’t realize that not long before this Sunday one the young families of our church discovered that their child was being sexually abused by a close relative. It was incredibly traumatic. They were there that Sunday morning and sat under that message. I wonder how many advisers to us pastors today would have said: ‘Pastor Piper, can’t you see your people are hurting? Can’t you come down out of the heavens and get practical? Don’t you realize what kind of people sit in front of you on Sunday?’ Some weeks later I learned the story. The husband took me aside one Sunday after a service. “John,” he said, “these have been the hardest months of our lives. Do you know what has gotten me through? The vision of the greatness of God’s holiness that you gave me the first week of January. It has been the rock we could stand on.”

The greatness and the glory of God are relevant. It does not matter if the surveys turn up a list of perceived needs that does not include the supreme greatness of the sovereign God of grace. That is the deepest need. Our people are starving for God.
[Quote from John Piper, The Supremacy of God in Preaching. Baker Books 1990. Page 9-11]
THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.
 .....................................................
I'm offering the 1990
publications. This pic is
the revised  edition,
which I don't have.
Special Month FREE Book Offer
for Pastors & Church leaders,

and Christian workers ONLY
I’m giving away ONLY 7 copies of The Supremacy of God in Preaching by John Piper. You are welcome to get a copy for yourself. I believe and pray that this book will help to ignite your passion to preach Christ-centered message in your ministry and life. Do these 2 things:

1.     Comment below “Rich, give me one copy___(Your name). I want to get passionate to preach a biblical standard preaching that is God-centered to my people.” 

2.     And E-mail me at Motivates4life@hotmail.com or send message to my Facebook your real name, phone no. and your postal address. Thank you.
Best Blogger Tips

11 comments:

  1. Example,
    Rich, give me one copy (J.I. Packer). I want to get passionate to preach a biblical standard preaching that is God-centered to my people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich, give me one copy (Endra) . I want to get passionate to preach a biblical standard preaching that is God-centered to my people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure Esee. Give me your home mailing address ya :)

      Delete
    2. Esee.. need your house mailing address d.

      Delete
  3. Rich, give me one copy (Joyce Joel) . I want to get passionate to preach a biblical standard preaching that is God-centered to my people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rich, give me one copy (Eudora Priscilla). I want to get passionate to preach a biblical standard preaching that is God-centered to my people.”

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dora, thank you for requesting the book. I'm glad to give it to you :) Will send the book next month ya. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! Merry Christmas to you too Richard and your family! Have a great Christmas and the coming New Year ^^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rich, give me one copy (Connie). I want to get passionate to preach a biblical standard preaching that is God-centered to my people.”

    Thank you Rich :) God bless you abundantly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally the 'older' ones should be excited with this offer; but perhaps God will rise up a young generation like you who are humble in heart and willing to learned for God's people. Sure Connie, I will deliver this book to you after CNY :)

      Delete

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]