Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Letters to Annie: Let's Build a Relationship that Will Last


Dear Annie,

            I’m not as romantic as you thought I’m, but I want to be. People always accused me as insensitive, maybe that’s true in some sense. And definitely I’m one of those who have been in relationship failures for so many times. I’m learning to understand and seek to improve myself from my mistakes. And then I met you… An ordinary beginning, something that would have been forgotten had it been anyone but you, Annie. But as I started a conversation with you that day, I knew before I closed my eyes to sleep that night, you was the one I could spend the rest of my life looking for but never find again. Now I’m started to miss you deeply even as I write this letter.

            So I asked myself this question: Do I want to build a relationship that lasts? Yes, with you! Then a thought came to my mind, I believe it is from the Holy Spirit – a reminder and a command – I (and you too) must start by making Lord Jesus Christ the cornerstone of my (our) relationships. It’s not that we want Him to be Lord, but to acknowledge that He is Lord and He will be the cornerstone, the centre, everything in our relationships. Because in order for us to always be in love we must draw love from its source – God. “Let us love one another, because love come from God. Whoever loves is a child of God and knows God… for God is love” (1 John 4:7-8). Love-God kind of love; brother and sister in Christ kind of love; and loving one another kind of love.

            Annie, I understand now that God does not intend for us to experience mediocre relationships; He created us for far greater things. Building lasting relationships, I learned, requires not just love but compassion, wisdom, empathy, kindness, respect, trust and forgiveness – yes – lots of forgiveness. “[God] showed his love for us by sending his only Son into the world, so that we might have life through him. This is what love is: it is not that we have loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the means by which our sins are forgiven” (1 John 4:9-10). Because we are redeemed-sinners living in imperfect world, we will sinning against God and each other in the future. Therefore we must ready to repent from our sins and we need lots of forgiveness as shown by God to us. Lotssss of forgiveeeenessss. Love and forgiveness is always together.

Sounds like a lot of work, right? Well my dear, I think God gives us high demand on lasting relationships is because God is in the business of everlasting lives. He wants the best, and we must give our best. Because God knows that we are capable of doing that work, and because He knows that the fruits of our labour of love will enrich our lives in the end.

As for me, I want to live a life that puts Jesus in the centre of everything.
I want to become the man that can lead and influence you to know God more.
Built to last? Let God be the cornerstone in our relationships.

I love you,
Richard

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]