Sunday, October 18, 2015

Letters to Annie: Thank Your for Insisting Upon Mutual Respect


Dear Annie,

As I read the Scripture today, my heart-fall on this verse: “Here is a simple rule-of-thumb for behaviour: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them. Add up God’s Law and Prophets and this is what you get” (Matthew 7:12, The Message). This verse reminds me of you. Us. Annie, do you remember when you said to me that you respect me and in return, I should respect you too? You’re wise. As a man, I should say it first. My older friend once asked me, “Do you respect yourself enough to demand that your date respect you, too? Please, please, please answer that question with a resounding YES!” I nodded my head. “I told my youths, especially the young girls,” my desperate friend continued, “if you don’t respect yourself, other people may find it easy to take advantage of you.

He urged me to understand this: the more you respect yourself and your partner, the more likely you are to make smart decisions and the smarter decisions you make, the more reasons you’ll have to respect yourself. This statement reminds me of a quote: “If you are willing to honor a person out of respect for God, you can be assured that God will honor you.” So, Annie, I asked my friend, how to avoid making such bad decisions and get self-respect? He gave me four tips: 1) Don’t do things that you know to be immoral, imprudent, or impulsive; 2) Make the conscious effort to invest yourself in activities that improve your own life and the lives of others; 3) Associate yourself with people who encourage you to think and behave in ways that are pleasing to God; and 4) Ask your Heavenly Father to guide your path and direct your thoughts. Then he told me to tell you: “Make sure Richard respects you and you respect yourself, and both of you respect God. Demand this from him!” I wrote it down because he looked very serious.

Thank you for respecting me – and I respect you. May God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit be honor and respect in our lives. That’s for now. I hope to hear from you soon. I miss you so much.

This much,
Richard

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]