Saturday, August 18, 2012

Fasting from Speaking

A woman said to John Wesley, “I think I know what my talent is.” “What is it?” “To speak my mind” Wesley replied, “I don’t think God would mind if you bury that talent.”

Getting along with someone, I’ve learned, involved not only doing things to strengthen our relationship, but in a long run – it is also by avoiding things that hurt others. Consciously, try avoid hurting others especially with our tongue. The Psalmist prayed, “Take control of what I say, O LORD, and keep my lips sealed” (Psalm 141:3NLT). Phones, voice-mail, and face-to-face conversations, words comprise a large part of our lives. So the kinds of words we use are important. Therefore it is wise to pray the prayer of the Psalmist for the thing most frequently opened by mistake is the human mouth. With God’s help, take control of it and sealed it whenever possible.

I ask you: How many marriages or friendships that you know have been destroyed because of criticism and foolish tongue that utter words out of control? How many relationships have broken down because of gossip or words spoken thoughtlessly or in anger? ‘A slip of foot you may soon recover from, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over’. Billy Graham comment, “A harsh word can’t be taken back; no apology can fully repair its damage.” (Read the Book of James chapter 3 to know more about how damaging our tongue can be).

But tongue can also be used for good – and that’s why I suggest fasting from speaking to evaluate, to re-cover, to redeem, to guard our tongue, and to use it for good instead of evil. Sometime (I never regret) it’s best to keep silent when we really have nothing to say or particularly if our words will only make things worse. I know it’s hard to take control of what we say. And I know, my dear friends, that to keep silent for a period of time in tempting moments is extra hard and very challenging. Ask God. Just like the Psalmist, to “take control of what I say, O LORD, and keep my lips sealed”.

Enjoy the nature
May I suggest? Take a half day off from speaking. Let your family members, classmates, roommates, and friends, those who close to you know about it. Or refrain yourself from giving any unnecessary responds during conversation (especially, when nobody is asking you to) and just listening or try to get away from people to a solitude places where you can just enjoy nature, birds singing, wind blowing alone (if you’re in Kuching, I recommend you to go to Mount Singai, Bau). Do whatever it take to fast yourself from speaking. Don’t make it legal methods but try to do it in a joyful spirit – a heart to learn about yourself and take control over your own tongue.

The Bible says, “Don’t use foul or abusive language. Let everything you say be good and helpful, so that your words will be an encouragement to those who hear them” (Ephesians 4:29NLT). Use your tongue to comfort, to instruct, to correct and to encourage others. (Even if you have to rebuke others for the sake of the Truth, do it in love that God’s give). Use it to praise God, to pray to God, to sing to the Lord, and to witness for the Lord. Fasting from speaking is one of the ways for you to achieve these fruits. Above, God will be Glorified in your life.

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.
NOW. Take time to fast from speaking… it is good for your soul.


Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

  1. thank u richard for the book(It's not about me)...I got it....=)) God bless....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw the picture from your blog. Enjoy your holiday :)

      Delete

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]