Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Letters to Annie: Choose Wise Role Models


Dear Annie,

            It’s been awhile since I write any letter to you. I’m sorry. I’ve been very busy lately with the student ministry and my writings. My books will be published next year. I’ll be back to see you soon and celebrate together this achievement with thanksgivings and prayer together. It will be fun! Oh, Annie, during one of the retreat last month, I have made a decision to share our good news of romantic relationship with one of my well-trusted colleagues. We talked man-to-man and I asked for his advice and wise counselling. He also guide me in my journey as Christ follower and leader to young people. I consider him as my mentor. Maybe I will introduce him to you soon dear.

            Early of this year, I realized of how important it is for us to have and choose wise role models. To effectively strengthen our faith and our relationships, we have to choose role models whose faith in God is strong. The Bible encourage us: “Spend time with the wise and you will become wise” (Proverbs 13:20). Never think that we can guide our own lives without the help of others; and never thought that we’re too spiritual that we don’t need any guidance.

Annie, we need role models. When we emulate godly people, we become a more godly person ourselves. But not just anyone, we must choose wisely. “Do not open you heart to every man,” writes Thomas A’ Kempis, “but discuss your affairs with one who is wise and who fears God.” We should seek out mentors, who, by their words and their presence, make us a better person and a better Christian. Howard Hendricks pointed out that “the effective mentor strives to help a man or woman discover what they can be in Christ and then holds them accountable to become that person.”

            Today, if you don’t have any role models, as a gift to yourself, select from your friends, church members and family members, a mentor whose judgment you trust. A mentor don’t have to be perfect (nobody is perfect, after all) or flawless or a very influential person. But he or she must be a mature Christian, growing disciple, wise in applying the Word into actions, well thought of inside and outside the Church and reverent fear of the Lord. Choose your spiritual mentor or mentors. Choose your friends wisely too. Bill Hybels assured that “God often keeps us on the path by guiding us through the counsel of friends and trusted spiritual advisors”.

Listen carefully to your mentor’s advice and be willing to accept that advice, even if accepting it requires effort or pain, or both. Remember, their advice is not flawless or absolute and may sometime impractical and may not have all of the answers. But by all mean consider your mentor or mentors to be God’s gift to you. Ask, listen, and learn. As for any other God’s gifts, use this gift for the glory of Christ’s Kingdom. I pray you’ll have wise role models to follow.

I’ll try my best to be your spiritual mentor,
And you’ll somehow be my mentor in the area of my weaknesses.
But above all let both of us choose Lord Jesus Christ as our Supreme Role Model.

            Akui nyalam ikak,
Richard

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]