Thursday, December 20, 2012

I Walked Away from a Handicap Man

Moved with compassion, Jesus reached out and touched him” (Mark 1:41)

Today I went to Wisma Saberkas to buy some books. With joy I climbed the stairs. ‘No lift’, I said to myself. ‘No escalators’, I committed to choose a healthy lifestyle; hoping that this attitude would last long. On my way back, I saw a handicap man holding a box or was it a cup? – I’m not sure. In fact – I don’t care! I walked my way back home and off I go.

Disabled man in a wheelchair.But then suddenly the innocent face of the man I saw just now comes to haunt my mind. I just can’t forget the way he looked at me. His face expressions have hidden messages behind it; ‘Would you give me some money?’; ‘Have compassion on me’; ‘Richard, look at me”; “Have pity on me’; ‘Don’t you care?’ At that moment, my heart grieved bitterly. I knew that I had “refused to help the least” (Matthew 25:45) who needs help from me. I was refused to help the man, I refused to help Jesus. I was not Christ-like. I have sinned against the Lord.
Having realized this sinful attitude, I seek for God’s forgiveness – and He forgive me.

I was lack compassion toward other people. I should love others as Christ loves me. I should ask God to soften my heart and show compassion for others. Like Jesus, He was “moved with compassion” and then He “reached out” and then He “touched” the leper (Mark 1:41). Jesus felt compassion, but He doesn’t stop there. He moved and takes action. This is a Godly compassion; an ultimate role model that we should follow for rest of our Christian life. Jesus Himself said, “You must be compassionate, just as your Father is compassionate” (Luke 6:36).

Ronald A. Beers writes, “To be Christlike is to share in Christ’s compassionate feelings and actions in response to the needs of others, particularly those who would suffer great hardship without your help. If you are not moved by the needs and hurts of the people around you, you may develop a heart of stone, which could eventually become too hard to respond to others or even God.” May it not be with you and me.

Have compassion to others – just like Jesus.
THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]