Monday, October 3, 2011

Week 63: Reading - Read and Grow Rich

Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body.” (Joseph Addison)
Happy is he who has laid up in his youth
and held fast in all fortune,
a genuine and passionate love for reading
.” (Rufus Choate)

There were 3 things that I hate; people, English language and reading. Just like Saul the murderer become Paul the Apostle, now those three trios are what I love most. I love what I hate. I love meeting people, I enjoy writing and converse in English, and above all: - I love to read.
The discipline of reading is one of the most important disciplines because it can enlarge our mind, stir up our thoughts and enable us to have focus thinking. Reading books especially have helped me to think about things and frame some great thoughts that I would never have come near without reading. The first thing (after I withdraw money from the ATM machine and pay all my bills) that I would do went I receive my salary is to buy books, and if any is left, I buy food.

Example of a Passionate Reader
John Wesley, as I read his biography was a man who had great passion for reading. Most of his reading time was on horseback. (Therefore, any complaints of having no time to read books are merely an excuse) He rode a horse up to 9 miles per day, and during those times he consumed thousands of books such as books on science, history, medicine; and one book that he always brings along was his Greek New Testament. He told the younger ministers of the Methodist societies to read or get out of the ministry! He once quoted as saying, “Reading Christians are growing Christians. When Christians cease to read, they cease to grow.”

Another Great Example
During William Tyndale imprisonment and shortly before his martyrdom in 1536, he wrote to the governor-in-chief, asking some goods be sent him:
A warmer cap, a candle, a piece of cloth to patch my leggings… But above all, I beseech and entreat your clemency to be urgent with the Procurer that he may kindly permit me to have my Hebrew Bible, Hebrew grammar and Hebrew Dictionary, that I may spend time with that in study.”

The Greatest Example

In the Bible, the Apostle Paul urged Timothy during his imprisonment to 'bring the cloak... and scrolls, especially the parchments" (2 Timothy 4:13) for the next visit. Commentaries suggested that "scrolls" were copies of parts of the Old Testaments. Whatever it were - Paul was a life long reader and learner. He continued to read and study - even inside the prison cell!

5 main reasons why you should read, because…

Reading is the main source of Inspiration.
Most of my writing on inspiration for this blog comes from reading books. For example, devotional book such as My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers is full of biblical truths and packed with great materials for inspirations.

Reading for Intellectual Growth
I always experience the thrill when I read some gems that were completely opposite to what I had believed before. It makes me think, stirs, polish and re-examine some of my believes. Books test my wits, provide fresh ideas, and challenge my assumptions.

Reading to keep Yourself Updated
J. Oswald Sanders writes, “Read… to acquire new information, to keep current with the time, to be well informed in his or her own field of expertise.”

Reading is a fellowship with great Minds.
To read great book is like hearing the author speaking to us. Their words reflect their thinking. Their minds projected in every page. It is like a conversation with the author. Do you want to have a fellowship with A.W. Tozer, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Surgeon, John Piper, Adrian Rogers, John C. Maxwell etc.? Then read their books!

Reading Books may Change your Life
I am convinced that the right books by great authors in the hands and hearts of rightly motivated people could turn their world right-side-up! (Not up-side-down, that’s negative!) Some books, especially those spiritual classics, can literally change your life.
 .............

Read. Read. Read. It doesn’t matter how many books you read or how many pages you had flips – as long as you read. If you gain but fifteen minutes a day, in one year you already read 5,475 minutes. If you gain but 2 pages a day, in one year you already read 730 pages. Now imagine if you read a book every month – now that’s awesome!
…….

If you have to master but one book – it is THE BIBLE
The first and most important book is to study is the Bible. It is the One book that we should ‘meditates day and night’ (Psalms 1:2) The Scripture is more than inspirations book; it is the source of Divine Inspirations. It is more than for intellectual growth; it is for Holistic Growth. It is more than to update our mind; it is the Mind of God that revealed past, present and future that are beyond our time frame. It is more than to have a fellowship with great minds; it is a fellowship with the Living Word of God.
The Bible can do more than change your life; it can revolutionize your life. Don’t believe me? Read and study the Book of Romans.

……….
Finally, reading is a precious lifestyle that is worth much more than collecting riches in the world. If all the money in Malaysia were placed at my disposal on condition that I should abandon my books and studies, I would spurn the money away and stand by the books. (on quoting Francois Fenelon) Read and grow ‘Rich’~

 THINK BIG Read! START SMALL Read! GO DEEP Read!


Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

  1. I'm motivated to read.. and to continue reading my books.. he2
    Thanks Rich :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am encouraged by your sharing about reading...Your encouragement moved me to read more and more than ever before. Thank you so much brother for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]