Saturday, January 23, 2021

Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics Every Christian Should Know (2005) by Wayne Grudem, Book Review

 

Christian Beliefs: 20 Basics Every Christian Should Know (2005) by Wayne Grudem

When I first saw Grudem's classic Systematic Theology (1,290 pages) in our central office library, I said to myself someday I will read it. But that day was delayed and the book is already gone. Then, I came across a condensed version of that book entitled Bible Doctrine (528 pages) in a bookstore. "When I received my salary," I promised, "I will buy it." But by the end of the month, that too has gone with the wind. Only during second-hand bookfair in Kuching that I get to get this book, Christian Beliefs (157 pages), a condensed version of the condensed version of Systematic Theology. This experience makes me believe in the doctrine of election 🤣

When I read this book, I felt like I want to skip some of the chapters because I thought I already knew much about the subjects and wanted to just focus on the unfamiliar and controversial doctrines. Thank God, He makes me realized my pride. So I determined to read the entire book anyway. I've learned and relearned so much. Do not let the brevity of each chapter fool you. The two intentional qualities that Dr. Grudem wanted to keep in this book, namely, "clarity and application to life", really what makes this book valuable. To me, he already achieves these qualities (like 90%). And although I wish he can expand more on certain subjects such as atonement, adoption, predestination, and eschatology, I understand that he can't do it all in detail in this short book (that's why I need to get Systematic Theology!). What I'm grateful for, however, are the main Bible references that I can check for myself and three application questions at the end of each chapter. Very helpful 😊👍

By the way, do not let the words like 'Biblical’, theology' and 'doctrine' intimidate you. The knowledge of God is not reserved for theologians or scholars or pastors only. Regardless of your profession or vocation, as long as you're a believer a.k.a. Christ-follower, try your best to learn at least the basics. "Knowing and understanding basic Christian beliefs is important for every Christian," assured Dr. Grudem. "People who don't know what the Bible teaches will have no ability to distinguish truth from error, and they will be like 'children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine' (Ephesians 4:14). But Christians who have a solid foundation will be more mature, will not easily be led astray, will have better judgment, and will 'have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil' (Hebrews 5:14)."

We are living in the last days. False prophets, false teachers, and antichrists are everywhere. With the help of the Holy Spirit, equip yourself. Read your Bible and learn solid Biblical teachings... Winter is coming... Be prepared... 🙏⚡📢 #ServeToLead #1Book1Week #LeadersAreReaders #WayneGrudem #ChristianBeliefs #EveryoneAreTheologians

FB Page
: https://facebook.com/LEGASI.tv/                 
Podcast: https://anchor.fm/LEGASI.tv/             
YouTube: http://bit.ly/LEGASItv

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]