Saturday, November 12, 2011

Examine the Motives of Our Busyness

I brought a new 2012 executive portfolio dairy last Monday – quite expensive, but for the use in one whole year? Worth the price! (Actually, it was only RM32.90. In my economy standard, it’s expensive) Right after national meeting, most of the schedule are confirmed and thus, transferring and recording dates have to be done. Yesterday it took me an hour (including coffee time, internet surfing and playing guitar) to jot down details in my 2012 planner. My calendar is not that packed if I were to compare it with our Prime Ministers’ or my General Secretary’, but it is quite crowded actually… [Pause] then this thought comes to mind;
What’s running me?

In your busyness; running here and there, does this and that, what’s running you? Why you do what you do? Why you drown and hide yourself in busyness? Today, I wrestle with this issue. I invite you to explore these questions with me… Come.

We often operate under the assumption that being busy means being productive. No doubt, my friends, that the benefits of being busy are important may it be in the light of earning a living, meeting deadlines at work or campus, and advancing God’s Kingdom by serving others (That hits me! I don’t like you Richard!) But being too busy can damage your relationship with God and others. And not knowing why or what keeps you from being busy may cause you exhaustion, disappointment, emptiness, and in the long run – it wears you out.

Perhaps what drives us to enter the land of busyness is because we want people to value us and look up to us. We are doing things to impress people by being “the helpful one” or “the one who knows stuff” or “go-to guy/gal”. Some even boasting by saying, “I’m the one people on my campus call whenever there’s an emergency.” The truth is, when our motives are wrong, we love the role above but deep inside our heart – we dislike it because it takes so much time and energy. In other words: Ego and pride keep the pressure on. Jan Johnson observed,
Anytime we take on a role, we depart from the simplicity of being who we are: nothing more and nothing less. Living up to a role moves us into the duplicity of insincerity instead of the authenticity of transparency, which is valued in the kingdom of God.”  
 

Other times we become the slave of busyness out of fear of being left out or of offending people we like. We sometime hiding under the shadow of busyness so that we can be loved and valued by others, to be considered as a productive person (“Always on the game” as my friend said it), and overtime, as myself had experienced it – Too embarrassed to admit that we’re exhausted and need of rest.

My friends, the issue here is not about being less busy or cut down your activities. (But if that’s necessary, do it so) the core issue here is: the motives of your busyness, why you do what you do. One good practice that is helpful for me is to learning discernment. Jan Johnson encouraged her readers to ask ourselves this question;
What am I called to do today or this weekend to love God
and let God’s love for me overflow to others?”

When you ask yourselves this question, you’ll be clear that in doing your works, assignments, roles or whatever it maybe is done as a result of God’s directions. To be motivated for life is to be motivated by God, not other people’s good opinions. Don’t act thoughtlessly, but understand what the Lord wants you to do.” (Ephesians 5:17NLT)

THINK BIG The heart exam question: What’s running me?
START SMALL Learn to be motivated by God, not other people’s good opinions.
GO DEEPUnderstand what the Lord wants you to do.”



Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]