Wednesday, June 22, 2011

You are Only Young Once

We are only young once. That is all society can stand.” (Bob Bowen)
A person is always startled when he hears himself seriously called an old man for the first time.” (Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.)
This is just a picture :)
 Her walk was rather slow motion; I think a crawling baby is much faster than her. Both her legs shaking not because music Mambo No.5 was played but because of her muscles and bones start to ‘rusted’ slowly in her body. Her Indian-English accent worst than my Iban-English vocabulary when she asked me,
What is your name?
Richard”, I said. “What?” she moved her left ears toward my loud-respectful-soft voice,
What is your name again?
Richard!” “Oh, Richard the Brave?!” she added my name title without my permission. Since she loves it and I like it very much – I agreed to let that name ‘stick’ permanently to her mind. Our conversation held in a wide dining hall where most of the oldies hang around during tea time. The place called St. Mark Cozy Home where, you know, old folks ‘flocking’ together. It was a wonderful place and as wonderful as it is, my conversation with Granny (not her real name) was much more wonderful than that.
I love war movies,” I sparked her interest. She said, “I love it too.”
Have you watched Titanic?” I was digging the old time favorite’s movies to her. She nodded once she recognized some and most of the time she would stared at me as if I’m saying some sinful things to her. But along the way she managed to ‘conquer’ our conversation. She talked about her life, family, previous jobs and experiences. Most of her lecture I wish I never asked but one particular discussion I will never forget for the rest of my life.

You know what?” she said as she touched my hand. I know that she will answer her own question eventually, so I kept my mouth shut and start to focus on her lip when she continued,
There are so many things that I want to do… but I can’t. [She paused] I want to do this but my hands failed me. I want to run and walk faster but my legs limit me. I want to do so many things… but I can’t. I’m old. I’m old

I observed that her mind is still alert because she’s a vivid reader. She can trace back many memories from her mind-bank account but her body is weak – old as Proton Saga not like she used to be like gorgeous Myvi today. She looked at me in the eyes and said,
You’re still young. Do what you want to do. Do anything you want and enjoy your youth while you still can. One day, you’ll be old and weak like me… lives your life for the Lord.”

After that, everything she said to me previously started to fade away but never this nugget of wisdom: “You’re still young… lives your life for the Lord.” Then I remember the Word of God through the Preacher, “Rejoice, O young man, in your youth, and let your heart cheer you in the day of your youth. Walk in the ways of your heart and the sight of your eyes.” (Ecclesiastes 11:9) Yes, enjoy your youth while it’s still yours. Don’t waste it! You are only young once! Now you can move, move freely. Now you can work, work cheerfully. Now you can do something – do something significant! Let Granny advised echoes in your mind, “You’re still young… lives your life for the Lord”. Remember, it’s much profitable for you to invest your life for the work of the Lord.

 The preacher continues, “But knows that for all these things God will bring you into judgment.”Remember this too...
THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.
You are only young once, lives your life for the Lord.

P.s: This is one of my valuable experiences during SWEEP'11 (Social Worker Exposure & Embracement Program)  that I recently participated. It was held by FES Malaysia on 6th to 19th June 2011. 

.
Best Blogger Tips

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this article... right time. Praise the Lord.
    -Girl-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny how we can learn so much from short conversations with the elderly as we visit old folk homes. They always have so many stories to share, so keen to share to everyone who is willing to just sit with them, yet sadly there are not many listening ears around.

    “There are so many things that I want to do… but I can’t. I want to do this but my hands failed me. I want to run and walk faster but my legs limit me. I want to do so many things… but I can’t. I’m old. I’m old…” It must be very heart-breaking to hear this, as we can tell how helpless they feel. They used to be in control of their life, what they want to do, where they want to go.

    It just makes me think, what does it mean to grow old gracefully? How can we make them feel better about growing old? How can we make our parents feel more secure about growing old? How can we embrace aging without feeling hopeless? For now, i think i can only say, only in God, who is our source of strength and eternal hope!

    - MOGLOM(: -

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) thank you.. :) yes.. live your life as youth. Go all out for Him.

    comes another question: at this young age are you willing to take the cross and walk with Him?

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Carol and Moglom,
    I like what John Piper said, "Don't waste your life!" :)

    ReplyDelete

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]