Saturday, April 30, 2011

Words have Incredible Power

One day, a cute little boy came to me after Sunday school and showed me his drawing,
Look!” he showed me his masterpiece.
What do you think?” he inquired my opinion with kid-level enthusiasm.
Let me see” I said as I put my cup on the table and take a closer looked at his art. Then I asked “What is this?”
It’s a spaceship!” he jumped up and down.
Spaceship? This looked like my dish plate with chocolate mud on it. This you call spaceship? I said to myself.
Wow! Great! This is great!” I said to him “Good boy.”
I lied. I lied to 4 years old kid. Not the proudest moment in my life. Next time, when I see that ugly drawing again I will shut my mouth; rub his head and just smile.
 .......
Have you ever been in a situation where you ‘accidentally’ said something and after awhile you regret saying it? I had. In fact, I’ve done it too many times that I can be considered as an expert. John C. Maxwell and Les Parrott in their book, 25 ways to Win with People, suggest that we ought to ‘Say the right words at the right time’. John reminds us to keep these 3 thoughts in mind (with my summary on each point):

Be sensitive to time and place
If you can learn to be sensitive to your setting, you’ve won half the battle in saying the right words and the right time

Say it from the heart.
It’s not just what you say and when you say it: it’s also how you say it. People can tell the difference between hollow words and something that is said from the heart.

Recognize the power of the right words at the right time.
It can have an impact that is positive and lasting. Look for opportunities to uplift others with your words. It just might change their lives.

May I add another point that we need to practice (Special reminder for myself) that can change your personal integrity: it’s better to say nothing than to make up a lie. “You say it best when you say nothing at all" as Ronan Keating said it.  

THINK BIGLike apples of gold in settings of silver is a word spoken in the right circumstances.” (Proverb 25:11) START SMALL Uplift others with your words. GO DEEP Say it from the heart.


...

Best Blogger Tips

1 comment:

  1. Nasib ko sik madah ngan nya tek..hi2 Thanks bro. Yup, "Say the right words at the right time."

    ReplyDelete

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]