Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Don't fear the giant

I hold you by your right hand - I, the Lord your God. And I say to you “Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you.” (Isaiah 41:13)
 
God’s people were on the verge of entering the Promised Land. Before they moved to Canaan, Moses, their leader, under the direction of God, chose one man from each tribe and sends them as spies into the Promised Land, Canaan. 12 spies were selected. Their tasks were to check out some specific things; if the land was fertile, whether the cities were protected, how many people lived there, and what the fruit was like.

When they returned forty days later, 10 spies told Moses in a fearful and hopelessness tone, ‘… the people living there are powerful… and… and… and their towns are large and fortified… we even saw giants there… (Based on Numbers 13:1-29)
Maybe the 10 spies’ fear came when they focus on the giants that seemed more frightening and immediate than God’s promise. Fear is real. Fear can paralyze us. Fear can distort our view of reality. 

Stop for awhile, What are your fears that had been holding you down? Maybe it’s the fear of failure. Fear of rejection. Fear of criticism. Fear of loss of love of someone. Fear of old age. Fear of death. Fear of facing your giants in life. Fear had been dominated you life and therefore, you can be identify with the 10 spies when they said, ‘We are not able to go up against the people, for they are stronger than we are.’ (v.31)
……….

My father was a strong man. He worked in a rough construction area. Cement, bricks and woods were his favorite ingredients. Hammer, nails and drilling machines were his tools. Can you imagine how strong he was? I can because I see, feel, and testing his muscles that day. I told my friends in my village that they cannot mess up with me because my father can squeeze them easily. Like squeezing Ubi Kayu, I warned them.
Whenever I saw my father’s arms, I feel save. I feel confidence. Fear was miles away. I know those arms will protect me from physical dangers - enemies, and his strong muscles were his valid proof.
……..
 
Maybe that was why Caleb told the people with confidence voice saying, Let’s go at once to take the land, we can certainly conquer it! (v.30) He had seen God’s arms all this while. He had experienced how God had kept His people faithfully since the day they moving out from Egypt. Maybe Caleb remembered clearly that God had promised that the people would conquer the land.

The giants in your path may appear more powerful than God, who promises to deliver you. But never lose hope in the assurance of His promises. On that day, only Caleb and Joshua were stand alone. They remembered that their Father in Heaven is stronger than those giants. His arms overshadow their fear. His muscles make them confidence in Him. In the end, those who had not trusted Him were not entering the Promise Land except Caleb and Joshua and younger generations of Israelites.

Soon or later, you’ll have to face your fear. You’ll meet your giants in every area of your life. Take heart. Never lose hope. Remember His promises. Remember His muscles. Remember His faithfulness. Don’t let the size of your giants reduce the size of your God!




............
Best Blogger Tips

3 comments:

  1. Tuhan kitai besai 'Heaven is My throne, And earth is My footstool'. Isaiah 66:1a.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing again :) ya, i like this " Don’t let the size of your giants reduce the size of your God! " God bless...

    ReplyDelete

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]