Thursday, May 19, 2011

We can't please People

What can be worst than to live a life entirely to please people and trying to win the approval of others. When we were kid, its okay to gain approval from our parents ‘Look dad what I can do!’, ‘Here mom, this is my exam results. Aren’t you proud of me?’, ‘hey, see… I’ve done what you want me to do.’  But what happen when we grow up? It’s not enough. It’s not alright. It’s average. People changed, and so does their expectations.

A friend e-mailed me and said, “I’m tired of pleasing others. They demand a lot from me. I’m busy all the time until I have no time for God. What should I do?”
2 days later I replied her, “Stop pleasing people.” That’s all I can think of.

If you think that the answer is too simple, I request that you would give me a chance to outline these 4 simple points:

1)      You can’t please people
Yes I know you tried before and it doesn’t work. Well, maybe trying is not enough. How about if you replace ‘try’ to simply ‘stop’. In a short-term perspective pleasing people may bring some temporary satisfaction or sensation breeze of approval but in the long-term it can lead to disappointment, frustration, and emptiness. My friend once gave me an important advice, “Richard, don’t tired yourself pleasing others.”

2)      Please people rob you of your peace.
Trying to please people will rob you of your peace. There is no time for ourselves and we always concentrate on gaining approval from others. Fear surrounds us. “Is it enough?”, “Is it okay?”, “Is this is what you expect?” are the questions that keep playing in our mind. Thus, it can harm our mental, emotional, and physical health.

3)      Get your approval only from God
His approval is never based on performance. God of the Bible doesn’t require our sacrifices or hard work to impress Him. It is the unconditional love that He offers. He loves you and approves of you because you are His, no matter what you think about Him or what other think about you.

4)      Don’t be people-pleaser, be God-pleaser.
St. Paul writes in his letter to Galatians, “For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.” (1:10 ESV) Which one are you? The one who is trying to please man or Christ? Pleasing God and seeking for His approval will bring peace, contentment, and fulfillment in a long run. By choosing to please God, we can serve people voluntarily instead of forcing ourselves to do so. We can do our best without fear of others approval. 

Choose today whom you will obey. Let me remind us: if you want to please people, go ahead but remember this – pleasing people will disappointed you down the road. THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP. 

The Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. If you serve Christ with this attitude, you will please God, and others will approve of you, too.”(Romans 14:17-18)
 ...
Best Blogger Tips

2 comments:

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]