Sunday, October 1, 2023

Enjoy the Simple Things In Life - Read Books #LeadersAreReaders May 2023

I always bring a book or two with me. I might forget to bring my money or office keys, but a book I will never forget. Rarely do I leave the house without a book. If you steal my bag pack or string bag, I can't promise you a fortune, but you'll be educated if you read the book inside it (pray for a wise thief!). I don't mind the extra weight. It's like carrying a friend with me; books offer companionship. I'm okay when I'm with people, and I always enjoy the presence of my loved ones. But most of the time, I like to be alone. Solitude, not loneliness. I've mastered the art of I-don’t-care if I’m surrounded by people who won’t talk to me and/or who I don't find interesting as long as I can read my book. I don't mind flight delays sometimes (AirAsia!) or long queues at the government office (not that I'm always in a queue) as long as I have my book with me. I happily lose myself in pages of words.

If reading is not part of your daily habit yet, I highly recommend slowly incorporating it into your life. There are many articles you can find on the Internet about the value of reading, but let me just highlight one of the main reasons for me:
If you can enjoy a simple and inexpensive thing in life, you can enjoy life! New, hardcover, and popular books are expensive, but they are not always good. Buy them only if you think this is a worthwhile investment. But as a starter, buy secondhand books, borrow from friends or church libraries* or go to the local libraries. If you're in Kuching, go to the state library, Pustaka Negeri Sarawak, sign up for membership (just RM10), and you can borrow up to ten books! Ask for a suggestion from me or leaders who are readers around you.

If you can find joy, satisfaction, and love in a simple thing such as reading a book, you can almost find them all in other things too. In this age of smartphones and screen time, we tend to think of distraction as a negative word. What if you choose positive distractions, such as reading? What if one book (or more) could change your life? What if you decide to do it today?

#ServeToLead #LeadersAreReaders #ReadingBooks #LittleThingsInLife #Joy #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain

To read my other book reviews/summaries,
CLICK HERE

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

 

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]