Sunday, October 1, 2023

Read To Understand Other People's Beliefs #LeadersAreReaders August 2023


When I was talking to an Anglican church lay leader about the Roman Catholic understanding of the Lord's Supper or Eucharist, he thought I was a Catholic. When I said no, he was surprised because it seemed to him that I was defending the Catholics' position, but in actuality, I was just explaining to him what they believe and how they interpret the Scripture and traditions on this matter.

Another time, I was having a casual-turned-serious conversation with a colleague about Calvinism and the five solas. He sounded very convicted, so I challenged him with some questions, thoughts, and Bible quotes. A few months after that, I heard him say to another colleague of mine that I was a Calvinist. I'm not. Perhaps he heard me say,
"If I agree with this and that point, does it mean that I'm a (number) point Calvinist?" To the non-Calvinist, I talk like a Calvinist. To the Calvinists, I defended the Arminian. I'm neither (who says there are only two choices? Who says I have to choose?). Likewise, I argue like an atheist when I talk to a Jehovah's Witness and other cults, for example, when they approach me or my students.

Why do I do this? I do this to those who are confident with their positions (friends) and to those who think they have figured it all out (acquaintances and strangers), not to the weak believers in faith. First, for fun and intellectual joy (some may find it intimidating. Well, I'm sort of). Secondly, to challenge other people's assumptions. Thirdly, examine mine. Fourthly, to apply what I've read. And finally, with the previous one, to understand why they believe what they believe. Sometimes you're wrong or in error, and sometimes you make enemies and/or make them think, but you will always learn new things. One of the ways to equip yourself for this kind of conversation is to read widely in the narrow areas of your interests.
Read books that you're curious about, books that you don't agree with, and books that enrich your mind and foster empathy.

#ServeToLead #LeadersAreReaders #ReadWidely #NarrowInterests #NonConformist #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain

To read my other book reviews/summaries,
CLICK HERE

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

 

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]