Sunday, October 1, 2023

Jesus and the Jewish Roots of Mary: Unveiling the Mother of the Messiah (2018) by Brant Pitre, Audiobook

Photo taken from the internet
When I was considering Roman Catholicism many years ago, I had a few essential obstacles that hindered me from being one. But after I read books, listen to podcasts, examine the Scripture and Church history, and watch videos about Catholicism from both Catholics and Protestants (I don't take from atheists or agnostics for this important subject), I understand more and more of what I still disagree with, realizing the misunderstandings that I once believed, and observing straight-out anti-Catholic lies that people spread about the church.

For example, Mary of Nazareth, the wife of Joseph, and the mother of Jesus Messiah, My Lord and Savior. I still disagree with the claim of the prominence of Mary in the Scripture. It is definitely hinted at (as the author shows in this book) but it is not obvious (like the divinity of Jesus or the apostleship of Peter). I do, however, agree based on Scripture, traditions, and logic that Mary is the
"Mother of God" (theotokos). It's NOT that she is the originator of the being of God (creator) or part of the Godhead (trinity) BUT because she gave birth to the eternal Son of God who became human (incarnation). If Jesus is God (He was/is), then, Mary is the mother or bearer of Jesus, who is God. I have no issue if Mary's perpetual virginity is true, I understand why there is a need to believe in the immaculate conception of Mary even though I think it is more philosophical concept rather than theology, and I'm still skeptical about the assumption of Mary to heaven (there is no internal evidence nor external refutation). But let's be objective: no true Bible-believing Catholics and the Church's Catechism teach people to worship Mary as/like/equal to God or goddess. Ignorance of this fact is a sign of gullibility. Veneration is not adoration (but of course, individuals' beliefs and practices might differ or even error and idolatry).

I thought about all of these - and more - when I listened to Dr. Pitre's book. Here he shows readers how deeply rooted Catholic views about Mary are in the Scripture by taking them step-by-step from Genesis to Revelation. He decodes how the Scripture itself, especially the Old Testament and ancient Judaism, claimed to teach that Mary is indeed the new Eve, the Mother of God, the Queen of Heaven, and the new Ark of the Covenant (the last part about she is also the last Rachel is very interesting). After I finished with this book and listened to his interviews, I'm still not a Catholic but I've become more appreciative and admire the blessed Mary as the servant of God and the mother of God. Because of His immeasurable grace: "
Blessed are you [Mary] among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! ...the mother of my Lord... blessed is [Mary] who believed that there would be a fulfillment of what was spoken to her from the Lord... For behold, henceforth all generations will call [Mary] blessed" (Luke 1:42-42, 45, 48).

#ServeToLead #LeadersAreReaders #Catholicism #MaryOfNazareth #JewishRoots #JesustheMessiah #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain

To read my other book reviews/summaries,
CLICK HERE

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

 

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]