Saturday, March 11, 2023

Secret Believers: What Happens When Muslims Turn To Christ? (2007) by Brother Andrew and Al Janssen, Book Review


My first introduction to the late Andrew van der Bijl or better known as Brother Andrew (1982-2022) was through his life-changing autobiography, God’s Smuggler. If you haven’t read it, I suggest you get a copy and read it before you die. In it, he told the story of how he became a Christ follower and was inspired to smuggle Bibles into Communist Eastern Europe to the persecuted underground churches. It was the start of a great adventure. His famous prayer has been my personal prayer too whenever I entered places where I shouldn’t be to share the Gospel with the not-yet-believers: “Lord, in my luggage I have Scripture I want to take to Your children. When You were on earth, You made blind eyes see. Now, I pray, make seeing eyes blind. Do not let the guards see those things You do not want them to see.” After the Iron Curtain collapse in Europe, Brother Andrew began to expand his ministry to Islamic nations, especially aiming at radical Islam. We cannot win the war on terror with guns and bombs because everyone we kill is replaced by dozens more who seek revenge,” said Andrew, The only answer is a total, radical commitment to Jesus Christ.”

Secret Believers
 is the next important book by Brother Andrew - and Al Janssen - in my estimation. Part 1 tells exciting yet terrifying true stories about men and women who are born as Muslims in strict Islamic states in the Middle East who have chosen - or rather, chosen by the living God of the Bible - to be the followers of Jesus Messiah, Lord, and Saviour. They are called Muslim Background Believers (MBB). The inner joy, living faith, glorious grace, inward freedom, and eternal life that they found in Jesus are not without their external costs and consequences. The Scripture clearly says, Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution (2 Timothy 3:12). The MBB worships Jesus daily, and at the same time suffer persecution daily. The stories of Ahmed, Mustafa (killed), Hassan (killed), Kareem, Abuna, Brutos, Nadira, Salima, Layla (abducted and raped), etc. touched my heart, warmed my soul, challenged my faith, and resolved my mind. I was even moved to tears when I read about their situations. Sometimes my anger would arouse due to the injustice done by their own families, communities, and authorities, inhuman treatments, and killing that were done in the name of God (John 16:2b says, “…the time is coming that whoever kills you will think that he offers God service”). But how the characters engaged with their challenges remind me of Christ’s love for the lost people. “Don’t curse the darkness but light a candle.”

Part 2
 of this book is worth the price. Here Brother Andrew presents some Biblical principles, thoughts, and questions on how to respond to the challenge of Islam. I believe the story you have just read presents us with four challenges,” explains Andrew, to love all Muslims by giving them the Good News, to forgive when we’re attacked, to live lives totally committed to Jesus Christ, and to engage in the real war - the spiritual war.” These are very difficult challenges because it is very counter-intuitive to human nature. That’s why we need the grace, faith, and love of Jesus. Only He can create in us a new nature to love our enemies and forgive the way He does. As one of the MBBs said to Al Janssen: “Don’t bring Hollywood; bring Christ. Don’t bring power. Don’t bring just your money. Bring love. Bring the kingdom.” Amen!

#ServeToLead #LeadersAreReaders #SecretBelievers #TurnToChrist #TheLoveOfChrist #Evangelism #GoodNews #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain

To read my other book reviews/summaries, CLICK HERE

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]