Saturday, March 11, 2023

Reading to Escape - And Come Back #LeadersAreReaders February 2023


My leader once asked me,
“You read a lot of books. Is this a form of escapism for you?” My answer was (and is): “Yes, in one sense it is for the purpose of escape, but not so much as escapism. I’m not reading to avoid reality, but I do read to temporarily escape to another world.” For me what’s dangerous is when we read to escape from responsibilities. What I’m promoting is that we read to escape to another world where we get help, encouragement, and inspiration in order for us to return home to reality and live responsibly.

Good - Christian or non-Christian, fiction or non-fiction - books can bring glory and honor to God, the Giver of Thought and Word when they help us to see more of God’s greatness, beauty, creativity, and reality. Books that help us to understand and appreciate His creations and providence in history. Spark our imagination and critical thinking. Bring awareness to things visible and invincible. See good versus evil. Light conflicts with darkness. These are the kind of books that I want to escape to. Nora Ephron writes,
"Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real."

#ServeToLead #LeadersAreReaders #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain #ReadingIsEscape

To read my other book reviews/summaries, CLICK HERE

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]