Thursday, December 3, 2020

The Holiness of God (1984) by R.C. Sproul, Book Review


 The Holiness of God (1984) by R.C. Sproul

This late Sproul’s classic examines the meaning of holiness and why people are both fascinated and terrified by a holy God. It also explores God’s character, leading to new insights on sin, justice, and grace. People nowadays are so used to "the love of God" that they almost forget about "the holiness of God." When I first read this book in 2010(?), the message changed and reformed my view of the God of the Bible. Now that I read it again, the truths penetrated my mind and heart even deeper. It also brings me to repentance of my personal and ministry sins. God uses this book mightily. This is a must-read for every Christian.

When I read Dr. Sproul writes about the prophet Isaiah's vision of God in Isaiah 6, I was in awe and amazement. Our Bible Study group is studying the Book of Isaiah chapter-by-chapter weekly and by divine appointment the week that I read it we were studying Isaiah 6! Wow! “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts” (Isaiah 6:3). In the presence of a holy God, Isaiah suddenly aware of his sinfulness. Dr. Sproul explains: “If ever there was a man of integrity, it was Isaiah ben Amoz. He was a whole man, a together type of a fellow.  He was considered by his contemporaries as the most righteous man in the nation. He was respected as a paragon of virtue. Then he caught one sudden glimpse of a holy God. In that single moment, all of his self-esteem was shattered. In a brief second, he was exposed, made naked beneath the gaze of the absolute standard of holiness. As long as Isaiah could compare himself to other mortals, he was able to sustain a lofty opinion of his own character. The instant he measured himself by the ultimate standard, he was destroyed –morally and spiritually annihilated. He was undone. He came apart. His sense of integrity collapsed.” This and many other powerful sentences in the book.

I encourage you if you can, to read a physical book for it is good to read it slowly and reflectively. But if you can’t find it, don’t worry, the Ligonier Ministries make available Dr. R.C.’s sermon series on this subject on YouTube. CLICK HERE to watch. I've watched this series twice! If you already watch it let me know OR once you finished watching it let me know too ya. I would like to hear your response 😊📖⚡#ServeToLead #TheHolinessOfGod #RCSproul #1Book1Week #GrowingLeader #LeadersAreReaders

FB Pagehttps://facebook.com/LEGASI.tv/            
Podcasthttps://anchor.fm/LEGASI.tv/         
YouTubehttp://bit.ly/LEGASItv

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

 

 

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]