Sunday, December 20, 2020

Ashamed of The Gospel: When the Church Becomes Like the World (2010, Third Edition) by John MacArthur, BOOK REVIEW

Ashamed of The Gospel: When the Church Becomes Like the World
(2010, Third Edition) by John MacArthur

Our Lord Jesus Christ reminds the disciples: "Whoever is ASHAMED OF ME and OF MY WORDS in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also BE ASHAMED when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels" (Mark 8:38). The apostle Paul reminds the church: "I AM NOT ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek" (Romans 1:16). And almost at the end of his life, he reminds his timid protégé, Timothy: "Therefore DO NOT BE ASHAMED of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God... which is why I suffer as I do. But I AM NOT ASHAMED, for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me" (2 Timothy 1:8, 12).

John MacArthur argues that the American Church is heading - in fact here and now, even worst - back to the Down-Grade Controversy* during the time of Charles H. Spurgeon. Progressive theology, liberalism, (post) modernism, pragmatism, seeker-sensitive, and the worldliness of the churches today are getting worst and worst. Shocking but not surprising since the Scripture already warned us in 2 Timothy 3. I figure whatever happened to the churches in America will eventually happen here in Malaysia. I have observed it here already. Instead of God-centered, our churches become human-centered. Instead of Word-saturated, the pastors preach on self-motivated. Instead of the Gospel of Christ, the people crave entertainment and organize miss world a.k.a. ratu cantik di gereja. Sometimes I cannot see the difference between the church and the world. Generally speaking, we are ASHAMED OF THE GOSPEL.

As usual, MacArthur tackles these issues with grace and firmness, the balance between exposing the falsehood and the exposition of the truth of God's Word, outlining the bankruptcy of show-time religion and the power of God unto salvation. I've read this book once and now that I read it again, I found many unnoticed treasures. It encourages, reminds, and warns me if I ever compromising the truth (Lord, am I ashamed of your Gospel?). I can finish it earlier but I deliberately reading it slowly and sometimes repeatedly to savor the nuggets of truth found in this finely written classic. Read it! 📖💪😊 #ServeToLead #1Book1Week #LeadersAreReaders #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain #AshamedOfTheGospel #JohnMacArthur #CharlesHSpurgeon

To read my other book reviews, CLICK HERE: http://bit.ly/1Book1Week

FB Page: https://facebook.com/LEGASI.tv/              
Podcast: https://anchor.fm/LEGASI.tv/           
YouTube: http://bit.ly/LEGASItv

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]