Saturday, April 17, 2021

Minimalism: The Japanese Art of Declutter to Organize Your Home Life (2018) by Kiku Katana, Somewhat REVIEW

 

Minimalism: The Japanese Art of Declutter to Organize Your Home Life (2018)
by Kiku Katana


One of my habits while reading a book is that I also take time to listen to the author’s interviews and/or talks on podcasts and YouTube and, if available, I listen to the audiobook. In this way, I can absorb more information, catch what I might miss when I’m just reading it and figure how the author thinks or the reasoning process. Also, it helps me to know what is his or her main points (if you can find the author’s TED Talks online that would be superb!). If I’m very interested in the subject, I explore other authors or speakers that cover the same topic. Because of this habit (or rather discipline?), I can somewhat figure out either the author is original – in a sense of the way the author expressing the thoughts or ideas not the actual subject itself, for “there is nothing new under the sun” (Ecclesiastes 1:9) – or just straight-up plagiarizing.

So, what do I think about Kiku Katana’s
Minimalism? Well, to put it mildly, she falls in between. Before this book, I’ve read Marie Kondo’s The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and Fumio Sasaki’s Goodbye, Things, and Kiku draws heavily from these two books. It is not word-for-word or even thought-for-thought similarities but more like paraphrasing ideas and techniques. Although it is very familiar, repetitive, and not-so-original for me, I find that this book is helpful: 1) as an introduction if you haven’t read any of the minimalist books (one of the definitions of a minimalist that I like is someone who “keeping things very simple”); 2) to remind us that we are living in a very consumeristic society that wants more and so we must examine ourselves and control our impulses to be passive consumers; and 3) the approach to extend the philosophy holistically in our lives not just our dealing with things or stuff is seem unique to Kiku for she also talks about health, finance, and food consumptions. Other than that, it is similar to other books (and most of the popular authors are from Japan, the same culture). Understandably, the subject of minimalism is not that broad and straight to the point. If you ‘get’ the philosophy, then, the execution is a matter of context, purpose, and experience.

I own only less than a dozen of plain t-shirts, use a plastic cardholder as my wallet, I don’t watch TV, no wall decoration in my place so far, almost non-active in social media except for LEGASI.tv, only leave essential apps on my phone, no debt except one, etc., I’m not calling myself a minimalist because a) I might change; b) I’m a maximalist when it comes to physical books and motorcycles; c) It should become a lifestyle not just following the trend; and d) although the term ‘minimalism’ (and even ‘essentialism’) first use as an art term*, I found out that the modern-day teachings of it are rooted from the Zen Buddhism (the practice, however, are ancient). This requires discernment. One of the mottos of minimalism is: “Less is more.” But as Christ-follower, my motto is: “Godliness with contentment is great gain” (1 Timothy 6:6). If it seems like I go with the minimalist mentality, it is because it will lead me to contentment 
😊💪

#1Book1Week #ServeToLead #LeadersAreReaders #GrowingLeaders #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain #Minimalism #Essentialism #GodlyContentment #Lifestyle

FB Pagehttps://facebook.com/LEGASI.tv/                    Podcasthttps://anchor.fm/LEGASI.tv/            YouTubehttps://www.youtube.com/c/LEGASItv/  

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

 

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]