Monday, December 4, 2017

Timothy, Remember Your Calling in Life and Ministry (1 Timothy 1:18-19)


This charge I entrust to you, Timothy, my child, in accordance with the prophecies previously made about you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, holding faith and a good conscience
(1 Timothy 1:18-19,
ESV)

I can sense Paul’s tenderness toward Timothy by calling him “my child” and also his seriousness by telling “this charge I entrust to you.” Another translation for “entrust” is “commit” which also means to “deposit,” just as I would take my life’s savings and entrust them to Maybank for safe keeping. Paul is placing great responsibility on Timothy by charging him with the Gospel of Jesus Christ. But mind you, Paul does not do so with stern authoritarianism (though no doubt Paul have authority over Timothy as apostle) but as a (spiritual) father speaking to the son he loves.

This charge is then reinforced by “the prophecies previously made about” Timothy. I’m not sure what were prophesied about him. I think this is the same reference point to event as in 1 Timothy 4:14, “Do not neglect the gift you have, which was given you by prophecy when the council of elders laid their hands on you.” This may refer to some special revelation of the Holy Spirit concerning Timothy’s call and ministry. Those prophesies, I think, was why Timothy is where he is now in leadership position. Why Paul need to reminded Timothy about his charge? Because the Christian life and ministry is a “warfare” in conflict with all the forces of evils.

Perhaps you, a child of God, reading this article needs to look back to your own “call” to serve the Son of God. It may be that call was to the ministry or some other phrase of the Lord’s service. Don’t forget, my friend that God have called you and His Holy Spirit will guide and empower you. So “be fearless in your struggle, keeping a firm grip on your faith and on yourself. After all, this is a fight we’re in” (1 Timothy 1:18b-19a, The Message). Remember your calling...

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]