Friday, September 5, 2014

Read Biographies and Learn Persistence


I like to read books. That’s obvious, right? Perhaps my most favorite subject to read is biography (and autobiography) of heroes of faith. I prefer the old-dead heroes. Men such as John the Baptist, C.H. Spurgeon, Martin Luther, John Calvin, and recently John Wycliffe are my constant source of inspirations. Like Paul the apostle, they encourage me to stay focus on Christ, deepen my faith in Him and by their godly examples – yes, even their mistakes and failures – add with their inside-out persistence had bring great impact on my life. The Scriptures says, “[Paul] press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:14, NIV). “Press on” or persistence, is the indispensable quality of a Christian to win the prize of life!

Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence,” writes Calvin Coolidge. “Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan ‘press on’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”

The English writer Samuel Crowther once wrote an article in which he examined the traits of many successful people. “The only common trait that can be discovered among them,” he wrote, “has to do with the capacity for sustained work in an emergency. Someone has said that the chief difference between a big man and a little man is that the little man quits when he is tired and sleepy, while that is the very time the big man presses on harder than ever.” Yes, since the day I became a new born Christian and from the day I read my first biography book until now, I’m fully convince that the difference between the average and the lukewarm and the serious follower of Christ, is – that persistence to keep the faith alive. First God is faithful and they are faithful. By persistence the heroes of old kept the faith. How about us now? Do we have that “press on” persistence?


THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]