Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Serve 'the Poor' among Us Freely

For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.” (Jesus Christ, in Matthew 25:35-36 NLT)

Feeding the hungry Christ. Clothing the naked Christ. Visiting the sick Christ. Giving shelter to the homeless Christ, Teaching the ignorant Christ.”(Mother Teresa)

Over the world people are saying that Mother Teresa is spoiling the poor by giving them things free. At a seminary in Bangalore, once a nun said to her,
Mother Teresa, you are spoiling the poor people by giving them things free. They are losing their human dignity.”

When everyone was quiet, she said calmly,
No one spoils as much as God Himself. See the wonderful gifts He has given us freely. All of you here have no glasses, yet you all can see. If God were to take money for your sight, what would happen? Continually we are breathing and living on oxygen that we do not pay for. What would happen if God were to say, ‘If you work four hours, you will get sunshine for two hours?’ How many of us would then survive?

Then she also told them, “There are many congregations who spoil the rich; it is good to have one congregation in the name of the poor, to spoil the poor

There was profound silence; nobody said a word after that.

Though I have many disagreements about her theology and doctrines (I simply can’t ignore that), I find that reading the writings and stories of Mother Teresa is very inspiring. She was really an example of faith translate into actions. From the Word to head to heart to hand. Her story above is so significant for me.  We must serve people with love and freely – as God love us gracefully. Freely we are given, freely we shall give. See and serve ‘the poor’ both spiritually and materially as if we are serving Christ. Oh yes, Father help me to obey your Word joyfully! Amen.

I tell you the truth,
when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,
you were doing it to me!

(Jesus Christ, Matthew 25:40,
NLT)
THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]