Wednesday, May 29, 2013

For Serious Christ follower ONLY: "Lord, Give Me just Enough to Satisfy My Needs"

Before I graduated from the university, I made a solemn promise to myself – a prayer, for exact – which I really glad that I did prayed for it (but sometime I regret a little). I read the Book of Proverbs and take it seriously what the Philosopher of Life had said, “First, help me never to tell a lie. Second, give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs” (Proverbs 30:18, NLT).

Pic taken from:
http://simpleorganizedlife.com/
[I skip the first one okay] “Give me just enough to satisfy my needs” God really answered my prayer! “Just enough” is my principle of life since. And that is just what “my needs” are. Apostle Paul take it serious too when he said, “I have learned how to be content with whatever I have” (Philippians 4:11) and then told it to his number one protégé, Timothy, “If we have enough food and clothing, let us be content” (1 Timothy 6:8). As if the human authors of the Bible hearing one another, the writer of the Book of Hebrew under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit also said the same thing also in a different way: “Don’t love money; be satisfied with what you have. For God has said, ‘I will never fail you. I will never abandon you’” (13:5).

But after I graduated, I had a problem regarding with my new principle of life: How to distinguish “my needs” from my wants? As we know, all humans have basic needs that must be met in order to survive: food, water, shelter, air – and love. I learned that “needs” are different from “wants” in that when our needs are met, we can be content and satisfied. On the other hand, when our wants are met (if it is possible at all) often leave us unsatisfied, discontent, and desiring for more. Mind you, what we “wants” are not always negative, but if we failed to distinguish it, they can become causes for the spread of jealousy, envy, deceit, and materialism when we become obsessed with getting them. For example, think of an iPhone, car or handbag. At first, we need it but after we had it, we want more. Then when we see someone have more or better than we have, we become jealous! And thus, needs become the never ending wants.

Give me just enough to satisfy my needs” is not a popular principle to live by today. But who are we? Christian. Christ followers. And when Christ speaks we listen and obey joyfully because we know that He wants the best for us in order that we may glorify Him. And what He says is this: “Your heavenly Father already knows all your needs” (Matthew 6:32). Since our Father knows all our needs, He therefore can satisfy us! Allow God to show His power and provision and teach us (yes, we need it!) that He is sufficient (He IS sufficient. We are the one who need to know that!). Learning to recognize the difference between needs and wants allows us to find contentment and satisfaction in living by God’s way. The more we focus on what Christ values in the Scripture, what is really important for Him – the more we will be able to distinguish our wants from our needs. Live a simple life. Uncluttered your life, live freely. Take just enough for yourself, and give it all away or share it with others. Always ready to travel light whenever God ask you to go.

If you dare, pray this prayer (or whenever you’re ready);
O Lord, you know all my needs.
Give me neither poverty nor riches!
Give me just enough to satisfy my needs
that I may live to glorified you and care for other needs too. Amen.
THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]