Sunday, June 18, 2023

Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony In a Complex World (1981, 2005) by Richard J. Foster, Book Review

Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony In a Complex World (1981, 2005) by Richard J. Foster
 
I was first introduced to Christian spiritual disciplines through Richard Foster's classic Celebration of Discipline many years ago. I learned so much from that book, and I've practiced some of it until today, such as the disciplines of study, service, solitude, celebration - and simplicity. But then, I read and heard other authors criticize this book as being very influenced by ancient Catholic mystics, Eastern practices, and extrabiblical advice. In my opinion, some of the critics are valid (such as contemplative prayer, Lectio Divina, etc., which I'm very uncomfortable with), and some simply disagree on methods and traditional streams of Christianity, which are very subjective. This is a good reminder - for me and you - to read any books, even so-called Christian books with spiritual discernment, and holy skepticism, and get the most out of them (perhaps Philippians 4:8 is applicable here).

With this in mind, I reread Richard Foster's
Freedom of Simplicity, an extension of one of the disciplines in his classic book as mentioned above. The idea of Christian simplicity is similar to secular minimalism but with one major difference: the main focus of simplicity is on God first, not the self. It is about intentionally getting rid of the things and reordering our lives that hinder our walk with God. Or, to put it positively, to enable us to walk with God with joy and freedom. God is calling us to live a simple life as Jesus lived simply. It allows us to create more space and the mental capacity for the Holy Spirit to move in all areas of our lives. This book reminds me of Proverbs 30:8b-9, "Give me neither poverty nor riches! Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God’s holy name." Give me Jesus!

Foster divided the book into two parts:
the foundation and the practice. He first argues why the discipline of simplicity is urgent, challenging, complex, and yet necessary. He also shows that it is rooted in the Old Covenant (Testament), the New Covenant, and church history among the saints. Based on his survey of Biblical texts, witnesses and practices, he concludes that inward simplicity must consist of 1) The Divine Center and, 2) Holy Obedience. From these, outward and corporate simplicity will overflow from our lives to affect our community and the world around us. Foster ends this book with encouragement, namely, the simplicity of simplicity: "There are not many things we have to keep in mind - in fact, only one: to be attentive to the voice of the true Shepherd. There are not many decisions we have to make - in fact, only one: to seek first his kingdom and his righteousness. There are not many tasks we have to do - in fact, only one: to obey him in all things." Come to think about it, the discipline of simplicity IS indeed simple because it is by God's grace. How do I get there? Well, hard work! A paradox.

#LeadersAreReaders #FreedomOfSimplicity #RichardFoster #SpiritualDiscipline #GraceAndWork #ChristianLifestyle #ServeToLead #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain

To read my other book reviews/summaries, CLICK HERE

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]