Sunday, May 7, 2023

Five (5) Lessons That I Learned from Dr. Thomas Chung Kim Sun a.k.a. Tommy (16 August 1942 - 28 April 2023)


The late Dr. Thomas Chung Kim Sun (80 years old, 16 August 1942–28 April 2023) is widely known as Dr. Thomas Chung and, for those who are close to him, as Tommy. I think I'm close to him, not in the sense of the frequency of meetings but in the sense of emotional and spiritual intimacy. You see, Dr. Tommy has the ability to make us — those who have known him long enough - feel special. I feel like I'm his favourite staff in FES, but I know that that is NOT entirely true. I've observed his casual interactions with Timberland Hospital staff when he was a laboratory chief there. He would speak professionally at times and then turn into a father figure, asking about their well-being, interests, and family members. I've witnessed how people in the church were so comfortable sharing their lives with him and thanking him for the spoken word he preached. He would suddenly burst into laughter, then cry, then sing, then encourage, then end with prayer. The whole thing was fascinating for me to see. Some people might think it's an old man's behaviour, no doubt, but more than that, he is a man "who had been with Jesus" (Acts 4:13). He loves all of us genuinely (although not equally; he was just a man), just like the Master he serves.

Before I share further, I would like to first share his weaknesses and shortcomings, just to demythologize some ideas about him. Here are some: He was not a good Monopoly game player, he was easily distracted, perhaps not the best driver in town, and some jokes were not funny but delivered with confidence (that's funny!), forgetfulness (where are the books that you promised to give me?), overcommitting, over-giving, being physically weak, keeping most of his struggles to himself, impatient, having self-doubt at times, his Bahasa is bad, a bit secretive, and more. These are what make me identify with him. If we were the same age, maybe we could be best friends forever (BFF). Except I'm the dumbest one. Now, here are five (5) lessons that I learned from Dr. Tommy:

  1. Loving God and His Word. He was a biochemist, a gemmologist, and a doctor. But first and foremost, he was a preacher, expositor, and teacher of the Word. He was a man of God on the pulpit as well as in the workplace. There were a couple of times when I visited him in the laboratory office, and once I asked if I could take a look at his personal Bible. It was a very worn-out Bible, and it reminds me of Charles H. Spurgeon's quote, "A Bible that's falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn't." Full of notes and quotes. He would read some and ask, "What do you think of this, Richard?" I said a few words, and then he immediately launched into a mini-sermon. Once I told him about my doubts about the existence of God, he would just listen, ask questions, and then proceed to encourage me through the Word and personal stories based on his experience with God. There are many things that I don't know about his personal life, but I know that he knows God not just intellectually but also emotionally and personally. He speaks from the depths of his heart. "Knowing God," writes J.I. Packer, "is a relationship calculated to thrill a man's heart."

  2. Passion to Preach the Gospel. It was in Port Dickson, Negeri Sembilan, during the FES 5th National Conference in 2010, my first year as a staff, he was the main Bible expositor and speaker. Honestly, I don't remember much about the conference except for the fun I had in the swimming pool during leisure time and the burning within me when Dr. Tommy preached the Scripture from 2nd Timothy. As if he were Paul talking to me, Timothy, urging me to "preach the word!" (2 Timothy 4:2 has become my life verse and also for LEGASI.tv ministry). Out of the pulpit, he was like a lamb, but in the pulpit, he was a lion. "Light yourself on fire with passion," said John Wesley, "and people will come from miles away to watch you burn." Literally, I heard testimonies, some people came from miles away to hear him preach — and burn. I'm confident that others can also testify to the same thing about his passion for Christ. The power doesn't lie in his rhetorical skills or the wisdom of man, but in the Gospel through the power of the Holy Spirit.

  3. A Man of Prayer and Tears. His opening prayer is like his closing prayer, and his closing prayer is like an open conversation with God. He cannot do what he does—fierce preaching and teaching many times a week—unless he is also disciplined in prayer on a daily basis. His favourite words to me are, "Bathed in prayer"; "Soaked in prayer"; "Love and prayers always"; "With you in prayer"; "Pray for His blessing and enabling." I believe they are not only words of comfort. They were his genuine prayers. He was a spiritual giant and a man of intellect, but he was also an emotional, sensitive, and compassionate man. He was man enough to weep for the lost and the brokenhearted.

  4. Always Read Books, especially the Classics. I've figured there is only so much that can trigger Dr. Thomas's interests: God, the Bible, the Church, preaching, Bario Revival or Revival stories, classical music and hymns, gems and beads, our concerns and prayer requests, and books (or lately, YouTube videos!). "What book are you reading now, Richard?" he would ask. "John Stott's Between Two Worlds," and then he talked about his relationship with John Stott back in London. "Martyn Lloyd-Jones's Preaching and Preachers," and then he recalled his memories of sitting under the Biblical preaching of Dr. Jones. "David Pawson's Unlocking the Bible," and then he reminisced about the day Mr. Pawson invited him to dinner during the student's day. There were times when I would just mention names such as Calvin, Tyndale, Spurgeon, John Sung, J.I. Packer, A.W. Tozer, Michael Green, and William Barclay and sit back to listen to his takes on them. This was his WhatsApp message to me back in 2019: "The Lord continues to bless all you do to promote the reading of spiritual classics as well as books that inform and broaden the sphere of thinking of young people in the work of FES." One of the last times I met him, he said to me that he was reading the Christian mystics. I didn't get to know how it was going, and I'm curious about his book recommendations.

  5. Last but not least, the Simplicity of Living. I'm not really sure exactly why he was so thin. Probably due to a health problem that I'm unaware of. But I sensed that he was practicing prayer and fasting continuously. Maybe, maybe not. Every time I would ask him about this, he would quickly change the subject (taking seriously Jesus' warning in Matthew 6:16–18?). Regardless, he was the embodiment of "godliness with contentment" (1 Timothy 6:6). He can be famous (he is!) but he doesn't want to; he could write books or compile all his sermons (someone should do this!) into books, but he didn't; he could just stay in London and pursue a high-income medicine career, but he returned home to Malaysia and became a humble itinerant preacher. In Christ, Dr. Tommy has two things that comprises inward simplicity (as Richard Foster puts it): the Divine Centre and Holy Obedience.

There are many things that I've learned from him. These five are the most impactful for me. I was shocked when I received the news about his sudden death, but somehow it didn't surprise me. Expected. I have no regrets or am sorry for any words that I said to him. Nothing but love, admiration, and respect. He was somewhat of a father figure, a grandpa, a mentor (actually, this year we planned to meet one-on-one every two months. So, we've met twice already), a teacher, a brother in Christ, and a friend to me. Like I said, he can make those who are close to him feel special. I feel special. But so do others - even more - who are closer to him. As for the living, I have words of wisdom from Dr. Tommy for all of us. In his slightly annoying British accent, the Queen's English says, "Press on, bebeh!" I think he was referring to Philippians 3:14, "I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." If you received it, type AMEN.

#ServeToLead #PreachTheWord #DrThomasChung #MyEulogy #FESMalaysia #HeroOfFaith #Preacher #ManOfGod #JesusIsLord #GodOfTheLivingAndTheDead #Goodbye

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]