Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Pursuing Humility? Meditations of a Proud Heart (2021) by Joel Cornuz, Book Review

 Pursuing Humility? Meditations of a Proud Heart (2021) by Joel Cornuz

I read this book on a flight from Taiwan to Kuala Lumpur. As soon as I and my colleague landed home, I told them very proudly, “Yes, I’ve finished reading a book on humility!” What an irony! Letting people know that I’ve read books on humility (such as this one and Andrew Murray’s) is probably a sign of my pride. Maybe yes, maybe not. But it is more challenging if I write a book on humility. Joel Cornuz thought so in his introduction: “If you pretend to teach about humility, you already demonstrate pride. Go and present yourself as an expert on the subject, and you disqualify yourself from talking about it. ‘I am the best, especially at humility.' The statement may be funny, but it reflects the reality of the problem.” As the author revealed in the book about his own pride, I saw mine all too obvious too.

Thus, I find this book—a series of the author’s meditations on humility from the Scripture—very helpful in pointing out my personal sin of pride and being independent from God, either intentionally or unintentionally. It was scary, but I needed the realizations that I gained from this book. The Holy Spirit speaks through the meditations of His Word. I need humility, or more accurately, I need God for humility, or, essentially, I need God. Joel concludes, “Humility is first recognizing the reality of who I am (a proud person in need of forgiveness) and who God is (the one who offers me the forgiveness I so desperately need); humility is then accepting my dependence on that God (without Him, I can do nothing); and finally, it is placing my life at his disposal for the service of those around me (and for His glory).”

It is the humble recognition that God (YHWH) is God and placing our dependence on Him that freed us from the weight of pride so that we could be more like Christ, the ultimate embodiment and example of humility. Remember the word that says, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble” (James 4:6; 1 Peter 5:5, Proverbs 3:34) #ServeToLead #LeadersAreReaders #Humility #Pride #LikeChrist #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain

*Thanks to FES Singapore for the gift!

To read my other book reviews/summaries, CLICK HERE

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]