Thursday, November 18, 2021

Read the Bible But Don't JUST Read the Bible #1Book1Week October 2021

“When people refer to a man as 'a man of one book’, meaning the Bible, he is generally found to be a man of multitudinous books, which simply isolates the one Book to its proper grandeur,” said Oswald Chambers, a preacher, teacher, and writer of a well-known devotion My Utmost for His Highest. “The man who reads only the Bible does not, as a rule, know it or human life.” I agree wholeheartedly! Mr. Oswald loves for books came in part from his sitting at the feet of the Scottish preacher Alexander Whyte, who taught a series of classes that Oswald attended as a young man. Many times Oswald saw Whyte hold up a battered old book, telling the students, “Sell your beds and buy it.”

Afterward, Oswald never went anywhere without a book. Once, while traveling, he wrote to his sister Florence saying: “My box has at last arrived. My books! I cannot tell you what they mean to me – silent, wealthy, loyal lovers. To look at them, to handle them, and to re-read them! I do thank God for my books with every fiber of my being. Why, I could have almost cried to an excess of joy when I got hold of them again. I see them all just at my elbow now – Plato, Wordsworth, Myers, Bradley, Halyburton, St. Augustine, Browning, Tennyson, Amiel, etc. I know them. I wish you could see how they look at me, a quiet, calm look of certain acquaintance" (quote taken from David McCasland's Oswald Chambers: Abandoned to God).

As Christ-followers, the Bible is our one and only chief Book that we all need to read, study and meditate daily. But this doesn’t mean that it is the only book that we need to read. Broaden your mind, enlarge your visions and uplift your spirit by reading other types or genres of books too. If I need to be inspired to walk in the faith, I read biographies like those of William Carrey, John Calvin, Hudson Taylor, Martin Luther, Charles H. Spurgeon, John Sung, etc. If I want to learn about the Scripture and theology, I turn to John McArthur, J.I. Packer, David Pawson, John Stott, etc. If I want to improve my leadership, I read John C. Maxwell and J. Oswald Sanders. To improve my critical thinking skills, I read Tony Buzan and Edward de Bono. So many subjects, so many choices, so little time! Read widely. Read more. Read daily.

#ServeToLead #GrowingLeaders #LeadersAreReaders #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain

To read my October 2021 #1Book1Week reviews - obviously, my reading theme was on preaching this month - CLICK TITLES below ���

1) The Supremacy of God In Preaching (1990, 2004) by John Piper
2) Preaching & Preachers (1971, 1997) by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones
3) Charles Spurgeon: The Prince of Preachers (1988) by J. C. Carlile,

FB Page: https://facebook.com/LEGASI.tv/                                
Podcast: http://bit.ly/LegasiSpotify                 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/LEGASItv/             

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]