Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Summary of Christian Doctrine (1938) by Louis Berkhof, Book Review

 
Summary of Christian Doctrine (1938) by Louis Berkhof

This book is a summary of the Manual of Christian Doctrine (1939, was known as Manual of Reformed Doctrine), and that itself is a condensed version of his huge classic Systematic Theology (1932). What I like about Berkhof, late professor of Dogmatic Theology in Calvin Seminary, is that he teaches in a very clear (except for some parts) and understandable even for people who are brand new to the Christian faith, the beginners. For an average person like me, when I first noticed that this book was written in 1938, I thought it's going to be using outdated language and boring. But I was wrong. I mean, he did use archaic KJV or Authorized Version as the main Biblical text, and this is understandable since the more modern and reliable versions were unavailable yet during his lifetime, but the manuscript is in the simplified language (In the preface, Berkhof did say that he made some changes and omitted “technical terms and unfamiliar words”). Perhaps 5 years ago or so, a book like this will bore me to death. As we are getting more mature in the faith, our taste in the types of books we read evolves, and our appetite for knowledge increases. At least, ideally, that should happen to anyone who professes to be a Christian a.k.a. a Christ-follower a.k.a. a disciple which partly means - a learner.

 

There is another thing that I like – and at the same time not so excited – about this book and his Systematic Theology in general, namely, since Berkhof is through and through Reformed or to be exact, Calvinist, his writings is obviously biased toward that theological views and interpretations. I say I like NOT totally in agreement. When I read a book, it is helpful – and safe! – if I know the author’s theological stands and/or ideological background instead of being very vague and taking a long time to figure out (this is a case for me with N.T. Wright). I know Berkhof is a Reformed and so I should read this book as such. Aware of his biases and knowing my own biases is one of the keys to learning. But what I’m not so excited about? Well, another key to learning is knowing other alternative perspectives before I make my conclusion. And this is where you mustn’t hold on to one or two favorite authors to inform you about Christian theology. The worst is when you idolize them. You cannot learn everything from only a few people (your favorite pastors or theologians) but you must learn as many views as possible. “Bible only,” sounds pious… and ignorant. Learn from great men and women of God before us! For me, Louis Berkhof is on my list and I recommend him to you too.

 

This book is divided into seven (7) parts: 1) Introduction: Religion, Revelation & Scripture; 2) The Doctrine of God and Creation; 3) The Doctrine of Man in Relation to God; 4) The Doctrine of the Person and Work of Christ; 5) The Doctrine of the Application of the Work of Redemption; 6) The Doctrine of the Church and the Means of Grace; and 7) The Doctrine of the Last Things. In closing, if the words ‘theology’ or ‘doctrine’ overwhelm you, let me reminds you what Paul wrote to Timothy which MUST be applied to all of us, Christ-followers, especially teachers of the Word: “Take heed [or “Keep a close watch”] to yourself and to the DOCTRINE. Continue in them, for in doing this you will save both yourself and those who hear you. (2 Timothy 4:16, NKJV, bracket and capitalize mine) 😊📖🔥 #ServeToLead #PreachTheWord #LeadersAreReaders #GrowingLeaders #LouisBerkhof #ChristianDoctrine #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain


FB Page: https://facebook.com/LEGASI.tv/            

Podcast: https://anchor.fm/LEGASI.tv/            

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/LEGASItv/


THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.


Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]