Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Preacher's Portrait: Some New Testament Word Studies (1961) by John Stott, Book Review

 

The Preacher's Portrait: Some New Testament Word Studies (1961) by John Stott

A book like this must be read with a pen and paper at hand. When Stott writes, I better listen. His writings, especially a superb commentary on 2 Timothy, have been parts of God's instruments that changed my life and draw me closer to the God of the Bible and quench my thirst for His Word. Stott writes clearly (not as an academic scholar but as a loving "Uncle John"), biblically (or should I say, exegetically), and humbly (in the preface he reminds his readers, "I do not pose as an expert, I am far from it"). Yes, I realize some controversies surrounding Stott during his lifetime and even after he died in 2011. Most are false, some are questionable, one or two are plausible. I admire Stott but never in my right mind believe what he wrote is infallible. I echo what Peter said to the Lord Jesus Christ, "You have the words of eternal life" (John 6:68). Only Jesus and His words are infallible - and inerrant.

When Stott was asked during an interview, "What do you believe about the state of preaching today?" Without a pause, he said, "Miserable!" (watch the full interview here: https://youtu.be/eXpY0IPYxcE). I miserably agree. Preachers today become celebrities; preaching becomes entertainment, and motivational speaking and marketing strategy filled the pulpits. Or look at our social media ministries. The message of Memikul Salib Kristus have become self-help advice Menjadi Orang Berjaya dan Sukses and minimize into trivial "Bolehkah Orang Kristian Bertatu?" 😒 What a downgrade! What have we become? Since 1961 through this book (then later in 1982, when he also wrote I Believe In Preaching), John Stott keeps urging us to return to Biblical preaching.

"We need," states Stott, "to gain in the Church today a clearer view of God's revealed ideal for the preacher, what he is, and how he is to do his work. So I shall be considering his message and his authority, the character of the proclamation he is called to make, the vital necessity of his own experience of the Gospel, the nature of his motive, the source of his power, and the moral qualities which should characterize him, notably humility, gentleness, and love. This, I suggest, is the preacher's portrait, a portrait painted by the hand of God Himself on the broad canvas of the New Testament." In short, the preacher is 1) A Steward, 2) A Herald, 3) A Witness, 4) A Father, and 5) A Servant. At first, I wanted to just share summary outlines of what Stott writes about each word. But then again, maybe I'll pass. If this review sparks your interest, you'll find ways to search for it online or better - buy the book! 😉

I was listening to an interview in Open Book Podcast when Stephen Nichols asked John MacArthur about one of the books that influence him the most in his early years as pastor. Yes, one of them is The Preacher's Portrait. He said, "By the time I was through that book, I knew I could never do anything in a pulpit - in my life - except explain the Scripture." The impact of this book is evident 💪 📖 #1Book1Week #LeadersAreReaders #JohnStott #BiblicalPreaching #PreacherAndPreaching #GodsWordAutority

FB Page: https://facebook.com/LEGASI.tv/                
Podcast: https://anchor.fm/LEGASI.tv/            
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/LEGASItv/

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]