Saturday, May 25, 2019

Developing the Leader Within You 2.0 (2018) by John C. Maxwell, Book Review



Developing the Leader Within You 2.0 (2018) by John C. Maxwell

I read the first version of this book before. I even listened to the audiobook many times and watched videos of live seminars on the same subject. I read lots of John Maxwell's books because I love the way he writes: simple, easy to understand, challenging and applicable. I also can sense his passion, sincerity and authority on the subject of leadership. If you're a young reader, I recommend reading The Winning Attitude and Failing Forward. If you're new on the job (whatever your position), I recommend Talent Is Never Enough and Be A People Person. If you're a manager or in the people business, read Winning with People and 25 Ways to Win with People. If you're a team leader, I wholly recommend The 17 Indisputable Laws of Teamwork and The 17 Essential Qualities of A Team Player. If you want to be a better leader, don't miss The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership, The 21 Indispensable Qualities of a Leader and The 5 Levels of Leadership. If you want to grow to be an effective person, read Today Matters and How Successful People Think. But if you want to start to explore John's books, start with Developing the Leader Within You. You'll not regret! (I just purchased Leadershift. Haven’t read it).

The new edition – after 25 years and over 2 million copies sold – of this book contains the 10 foundational lessons for becoming a good leader. John writes, "It's still the first book I recommend that people read to start their leadership development journeys." With more than 80% of the content revised, this new edition is fresh and, of course, much better than the previous one. The 10 foundations are:

#1 The Definition of Leadership: Influence
#2 The Key to Leadership: Priorities
#3 The Foundation of Leadership: Character
#4 The Ultimate Test of Leadership: Creating Positive Change
#5 The Quickest Way to Gain Leadership: Problem Solving
#6 The Extra Plus in Leadership: Attitude
#7 The Heart of Leadership: Serving People
#8 The Indispensable Quality of Leadership: Vision
#9 The Price Tag of Leadership: Self-Discipline
#10 The Expansion of Leadership: Personal Growth

I'm very familiar with John's teachings. Besides listen to his audiobooks, I also listen to The John Maxwell Leadership Podcast. So most of the materials in this book are not new to me and yet, because John is always learning – he takes his own advice on personal growth very seriously – I noticed that his writings are getting more interesting and the examples, stories and quotes are just wonderful. As I examine myself with these foundational lessons, I find that my strengths are (also can be my weaknesses if I'm too confident) problem solving, attitude, self-discipline and personal growth. I want to think that I have influence and character. I just see the importance of priorities a few years ago. I need to improve in creating positive change and vision. And I must learn to serve people with love, care and patient. Like John, patience is my greatest weakness.

I will do a book review video soon. So, much of what I've learned from this book I will share in there. As for now, if you want to continue leading, you got to continue learning. Read books.
______________


THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]