Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Respond to an Atheist about the Existence of God

Few years ago, an atheist read my blog Motivates for Life (now known as “Word Speaks Today”). He said in an e-mail that my blog is interesting but with a remark: ‘Richard Angelus… stops all your God and Jesus talks, God do not exist’. When I read this, I was silenced but not shocked. Perplexed but not surprised. I didn’t reply his message instantly but thought for days; what could be the best possible way for me to respond to his remarkably wicked remark? So I seek help and I found a book with a good illustration about the existence of God in Roy B. Zuck’s The Speaker’s Quote Book. I write this story to him:

A man went to a barbershop to have his hair cut and his beard trimmed. As the barber began to work, they started up a good conversation, covering various subjects. When they eventually touched on the subject of God, the barber said,
I don’t believe that God exists.”
Why you say that?” asked the customer.
Well, you only have to go out in the street to realize that God doesn’t exist. Tell me, if God exists, would there be so many sick people? Would there be abandoned children? If God exists, there would be neither suffering nor pain. I can’t imagine a loving God who would allow all of these things.”

The customer thought for a moment, but didn’t respond, because he didn’t want to start an argument. The barber finished his job and the customer left the shop. In the street, the customer saw a dirty, unkempt man with long, stringy hair and an untrimmed beard. He reentered the barbershop and said to the barber,
You know what? Barbers do not exist.”
How can you say that?” asked the surprised barber. “I am here, and I am a barber. And I just worked on you!
No!” the customer exclaimed. “Barbers don’t exist because if they did, there would be no people with dirty long hair and untrimmed beards like that man outside.”
“Ah! But barbers do exist! What happen, is, people do not come to me.

Exactly!” affirmed the customer. “That’s the point! God, too, does exist! What happens is, people don’t go to Him or look for Him.”

About a week after that, the former atheist reader replied my e-mail:
Okay, Richard, I admit, there is a Higher Power or Force or what you call God in the universe, but how about Jesus? He is a man but not God as you Christian claimed him to be [bla bla bla]”
So I sent him a Bible and asked him to read particularly the Gospel of John.
Now, he is a Christian.
Praise be to God!
THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.
Best Blogger Tips

5 comments:

  1. Halleluyah!! :) Seek God...that's the thing. It understandable when we don't trust in something we can't see.
    ^^) Me Me Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. The work of the Holy Spirit through you! :D

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. To tell the truth, the process of one conversion is not a one time event - but a series of events and happenings. You all might be the contributors for one's decision to know our Lord Jesus... But the whole process is of the Holy Spirit. You and I can be His tools to touch people's lives. As Carol writes here for me, is also true for you: "The work of the Holy Spirit through you!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why did God create people whom He already knew would reject Him and go to hell?
    Shouldn't God who is ALL Loving instead not create the hell? and just forgive them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ask, because you really want to know and desire to go deeper into the Scripture about God of the Bible, contact me thru my e-mail okay :) Motivates4life@hotmail.com

      Rich

      Delete

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]