Monday, January 24, 2011

Week 29: Integrity - my Words, my Talk and my Walk

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in the moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy (Martin Luther King, Jr.)
With integrity you have nothing to fear, since you have nothing to hide. With integrity you will do the right thing, so you will have no guilt. With fear and guilt removed you are free to be and do your best. (Zig Ziglar)
About 10 years ago, I'm facing such a challenging moment: a test of integrity. It was a critical moment, nobody was there. My mother already went to work and brother will only coming back home after 1 hour. It was a critical moment. I promised to my mother that I won't take more than 3 pieces of fried chicken. But you see... nobody was there. Our house is too small and it was not necessary for my mother to put security camera on our kitchen hall. It was a critical moment indeed.

"If I take extra one piece, my brother wouldn't know. In fact, he won't know that our dinner is fried chicken." I said to me, myself and I. Myself said to me, "Come on. This is your chance." I tempted me, "Take it quick! Nobody will know about it.” Then, me reasoned to myself and I, "Yes, you are right. Forget about your promise and your principle of life, what's the different if I just take extra one piece."

            In everyday life, we will always be dealing with challenges and difficulties that require our integrity. Integrity means integrated around principles. It means wholeness, oneness, and seamlessness. In living a Christian life, integrity is important; our principles must be based on the Scriptures.
            For example, "Do not steal" (Exodus 20:15) When nobody see: spouse is out, parent are away, boss is not in the office, housemates are out for dinner etc. and that temptation appear, that opportunities are right before our eyes... would you still be truthful to God's command, His principle, 'Do not steal'? If yes, you have shown integrity both toward men and most especially toward our only audience in this stage of life, Father in Heaven. A word of caution: We show integrity not because we want to be Christian, but because we are Christian, we should show integrity.

3 verses I would like to quotes from Stephen R. Covey, Everyday Greatness:
Solid Integrity - Integrity includes consistency and an unwavering adherence to values and beliefs.
Standing on Principle - Standing on principle involves holding firm to what you feel to be right. How firmly are your feet planted?
Private moments - Integrity's greatest victories are won in those private moments when no one else would know.

In critical moment, in time of challenge and controversy, during private moments; what would you do? (…between ‘fried chicken’ and principle). Would you still hold firm to the principle that was taught to you in the Scripture?

P.s: As I write this, I challenge myself to do the same. That's the risk a writer should take. If my writing doesn't match with my walk, I have a big problem. 
Best Blogger Tips

1 comment:

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]