Sunday, August 22, 2010

Week 6: Prayer - The Cheapest Call

I said to her how I wish to grasp that guitar and pluck it louder and I can make it more enthusiasm. 'This is not much alive! The song leader didn't sing whole heartedly and man... that guitar player really disappointed me', I said this with my hand moving like an espanyol’s actor. And then in the middle of that conversation, she asked me a burning question: "Did you pray for them?"
How can I miss such a basic discipline? How can I be so blinded by the outer expression and not aware of inner need of others? What a selfish statement could ever come out from my heart? "Pray for them? Err... you know, I never thought about it", I answered.

Sometime in the business of our society we forget to pray, even the simplest prayer such as 'Thank you, Lord' is so alien to our tongues. Homework, assignments, meetings, appointments, datelines, jobs, responsibilities etc, often become our Master that hinders us to pray. From my own experiences and others that 'accidentally' share with me will make such a 'logical' excuses:
"God know what I need, so I don't need to pray"
"I've been praying for __ days/ weeks/ months/ years (I suspect, seconds) yet God doesn't answer me, what for?"
"No time" Similarly "Busy lah"
"I don't know how to pray"
"I don't feeeeeeeellll like to pray"
"Pray? What is that?"

The greatest motivational tool in the universe is no doubt none other than PRAYER. Prayer is not to get what you want things to be done. Prayer is not claim it and it will be given to you. It is not a ritual or code to unlock the greatest you. Prayer is one's personal conversation with the Almighty that includes both expressing our concerns and listening to His response. Pastor Chew Weng Chee said 'When we work, we work; when we pray, God work'. It is our most powerful, most immediately accessible, most useful recourse for responding to the moment-to-moment challenges of both good and bad times.

Lead like Jesus by Ken Blanchard & Phil Hodges suggest ACTS as a way to begin.
Adoration - Tell the Lord that you love Him and appreciate Him for who He is.
Confession - our first response to meeting and adoring God is confession.
Thanksgiving – is an expression of gratitude to God for all He had done. (Toothpaste, air, water, clothes, pen etc...)
Supplication - asking for what you need. (ha ha... most of us including me start with this first) Start by praying about others' needs and then ask for your own needs to be met.

When is the last time you pray? What did you prayed for? How and where you pray is not so important, the posture of the body is not as important as the posture of the heart. The subject of prayer is much more interesting than this, yet I don't want you to be 'burden' with too many words to read on this simple note.

The greatest leader, speaker and Savior once had prayed such a selfless prayer, "Nevertheless, not my will, but yours, be done." (Luke 22:42) My action above indicated how I had a center-minded attitude toward myself and how I want things done like what I want it to be. I was reminded to have a prayer habits all the time, pray for others then myself and let God's will not mine be done. Yes, it is easier said than done but it worth to follow. I hope this may encourage you, and what can a 'fool' man like me to teach you how to pray.

His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray..." (Luke 11:1)
...............................................................................................
"Prayer is listening as well as speaking, receiving as well as asking; and its deepest mood is friendship held in reverence. So the daily prayer should end as it begins- in adoration." (George A. Buttrick)
Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]