Sunday, March 27, 2022

Leadership Language: Using Authentic Communication To Drive Results (2018) by Chris Westfall, Book Review

If I read Mr. Westfall rightly, I think the main thesis of this book can be summed up in this statement: "Leadership is about doing the right things for the clients you serve." By "client" he means more than an external client, namely, someone who buys your products and services but also included internal client, namely, someone on your team, broad of director, vendor, supplier, boss, and even your family and friends. In short, someone whom you serve. "Your client is the source of your success," he wrote, "Your ability to deliver results, your ability to generate revenue, your ability to advance in your career, your ability to grow your business - it all comes from your clients." Then he added, "Your personal success - in all aspects of your life, not just in business - hinges on what you create WITH, THROUGH, and FOR OTHERS."

But then, I asked, what does he mean by
 Leadership Language? This illustration helped me a lot: Mr. Westfall asked his super-smart Millennial engineer coaching client from Hungary who can speak five languages, "Erik, why are we speaking English today?" His client said, "Because that's the only language you understand." Erik was speaking Mr. Westfall's language. Leadership language speaks your client's language. A language of words demonstrated in actions, and delivering an impact that can't be denied! Let's say one of my leadership strengths is creativity. This is useless on its own unless I use it to serve my clients. So, I need to think about how can I deliver this strength practically and in my actions. Then, I also need to ask myself, "How can my client be better off from my service?" Putting concepts into action for the clients you serve and the ability to see what the clients need and then deliver it is the path to creating real impact and authentic communication. This is the 'language' that those who follow your lead CAN understand.

This concept of leadership is interesting and essential. Although there are things that I might disagree with and couldn't relate to what Mr. Westfall was communicating (two of them are his simplistic view of human nature and overuse of high-level business examples that I can't relate to), I think overall this is a good book on everyday leadership not just in business. It's an easy read, with very engaging stories and dozens of valuable insights such as
The Ten (10) Leadership Factors that he explains throughout the entire pages of the book. To know more, read this book... Or, like me, borrow it from the library! :)

#ServeToLead #LeadersAreReaders #LeadershipLanguage #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain

To read my other book reviews, CLICK HERE

FB Page
: https://facebook.com/LEGASI.tv/                               
Podcast: http://bit.ly/LegasiSpotify                              
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/LEGASItv/                          

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]