Tuesday, May 25, 2021

This is Marketing: You Can’t Be Seen Until You Learn To See (2018) by Seth Godin, Audiobook Review

 
This is Marketing: You Can’t Be Seen Until You Learn To See (2018)
by Seth Godin, Audiobook

 What is marketing? According to Seth Godin: "If you need to persuade someone to take action, you’re doing marketing." Asking you to donate to charity is as much as marketing as asking you to buy a product for charity. If you are taking a selfie for your social media or showing off your stuff on Instagram, you're marketing. I write this review and using hashtag #1Book1Week is marketing because one of the reasons (other than selfish one) is I want to persuade you to read books through my page. We all involve in marking either you realize it or not. The questions are: Are you a good or bad marketer? Do you want to genuinely serve others or just want their money? Do you always use manipulations or ethical persuasions? Mind you, Seth doesn't concern with the last question, but I thought it would be helpful to remind the believers about ethics as we read secular books like this.

In this book, Seth Godin (the first time I'm exposed to Seth is through his short book, The Dip), a marketing guru, shares the culmination of decades upon decades of marketing lessons and advice that he learned all over the world and mainly through his The Marketing Seminar. I would like to recommend listening to The Akimbo Podcast and watching his interviews with Marie Forleo and Chase Jarvis. I listened to the audiobook, not reading the book, so I get the main ideas but not in detail. And most of the lessons I learned probably not very applicable to my areas of calling and job descriptions. Although as a Bible Study teacher and Christian preacher, I am involving in 'marketing' the Gospel indirectly but here I must be careful not to mix the two. Of course, there are similarities but some principles and methods in marketing are just Biblical compromise and to a certain extend - wrong. Apply discernment, okay? ���

Back to the book. The audiobook is narrated by the author (7 hours 2 minutes, but I listened to it at 1.25x speed, so about 5.3 hours. I love listening to audiobooks when I'm walking outside and cleaning the house). Here are seven quotes that stick with me and from the interviews about the book (I Google these quotes, by the way, based on keywords that I remember):

 #1 "Marketers offer solutions, opportunities for humans to solve their problems and move forward";

 #2 "The most important lesson I can share about brand marketing is this: you definitely, certainly, and surely don’t have enough time and money to build a brand for everyone. You can’t. Don’t try. Be specific. Be very specific";

 #3 "We sell feelings, status, and connection, not tasks or stuff";

 #4 "The smallest viable market is the focus that, ironically and delightfully, leads to your growth" (my favorite is chapter 4: The Smallest Viable Market);

 #5 "Empathy is at the heart of marketing" (This is a BIG point!) For example, Seth also writes: "When we find the empathy to say 'I’m sorry, this isn’t for you – here’s the phone number of my competitor' then we also find the freedom to do work that matters";

 #6 The title for chapter nine: 'People Like Us Do Things Like This' is worth exploring;

 #7 "When you’re the cheapest, you’re not promising change. You’re promising the same, but cheaper... lowering your price doesn't make you more trusted – it actually does the opposite."

If I'm working directly as a marketer, I will surely buy the book because it has many good ideas that are very practical in the ever-changing (evolving?) landscape of marketing today. Consider it ���⚡✌ #ServeToLead #LeadersAreReaders #GrowingLeaders #SethGodin #ThisIsMarketing #LetsMakeReadingCoolAgain

To read my other book reviews, CLICK HERE ��� https://legasitv.blogspot.com/search/label/Book%20Review?m=1 

FB Page: https://facebook.com/LEGASI.tv/                      
Podcast: https://anchor.fm/LEGASI.tv/              
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/LEGASItv/    

THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

 

 

Best Blogger Tips

1 comment:

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]