Saturday, October 27, 2018

Secret of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth (2005) by T. Harv Eker, A Book Review



Secrets of the Millionaire Mind: Mastering the Inner Game of Wealth (2005) 
by T. Harv Eker


A long time ago I read Napoleon Hill’s Think and Grow Rich (originally written in 1937) because I have a deep desire to become rich. I can’t further my study due to the financial crisis. I don’t have an impressive resume at that time. And there were no role models to mentor me. No excuse. So, I do the one thing that I can to reach my dream - read books. In Jesus, I’m spiritually rich; by reading, I’m intellectually rich; and soon, I’ll be rich, I reasoned. But many years later, I forget about this deep desire probably due to self-doubt and false idea about money and rich people. This book revives my millionaire mind and revises my money blueprint. Thanks, Harv!

Have you ever wondered why some people seem to get rich easily, while others are destined for a life of financial struggle (read above)? Is the difference found in their education (read above), intelligence, skills, timing, work habits, contacts, luck, or choice of jobs, businesses, or investments? The shocking answer is NONE of the above! “If you want to change the fruits [be rich and wealthy], you will first have to change the roots [your money blueprint],” writes Harv, “If you want to change the visible, you must first change the invisible.” What do we need to change? Our mind! The premise of the book is simple: You can learn all the investment, saving, or wealth-building tips in the world, but if you’re not mentally prepared to own and maintain that wealth the money will go as soon as it arrives. This may sound a little too ‘cheesy and fuzzy’ for some (still is to me now), but I found that Harv Eker’s writing is full of practical and powerful concepts which are geared around the goal of mental reprogramming.

Harv suggests that all our thoughts and beliefs about money come from three main sources: #1 Verbal Programming (such as “Money is the root of all evil”Rich people are greedy” and “You can’t be rich and spiritual”), #2 Modelling (such as how our parents or guardians think and manage their money) and #3 Specific Incidents (such as what did you experience when you were young around money, wealth and rich people?). Harv believes that these three sources create - at a very young age - our attitudes and beliefs when it comes to money. What he stresses is that our “understanding” is simply a story, programming that we let ourselves believe to be fact. If you were abused by verbal programming, declare that: “What I heard about money isn’t necessarily true. I choose to adopt new ways of thinking that support my happiness and success.” If you have bad modeling, declare to yourself that: “What I modeled around money was their way. I choose my way.” If you had encountered ‘traumatic’ incidents, declare that: “I release my non-supportive money experiences from the past and create a new and rich future.” To counterattack this negative programming, Harv lists down 17 Wealth Files, namely:

1. Rich people believe "I create my life." Poor people believe "Life happens to me."
2. Rich people play the money game to win. Poor people play the money game to not lose.
3. Rich people are committed to being rich. Poor people want to be rich.
4. Rich people think big. Poor people think small.
5. Rich people focus on opportunities. Poor people focus on obstacles.
6. Rich people admire other rich and successful people. Poor people resent rich and successful people.
7. Rich people associate with positive, successful people. Poor people associate with negative or unsuccessful people.
8. Rich people are willing to promote themselves and their values. Poor people think negatively about selling and promotion.
9. Rich people are bigger than their problems. Poor people are smaller than their problems.
10. Rich people are excellent receivers. Poor people are poor receivers.
11. Rich people choose to get paid based on results. Poor people choose to get paid based on time.
12. Rich people think "both". Poor people think "either/or".
13. Rich people focus on their net worth. Poor people focus on their working income.
14. Rich people manage their money well. Poor people mismanage their money well.
15. Rich people have their money and work hard for them. Poor people work hard for their money.
16. Rich people act despite fear. Poor people let fear stop them.
17. Rich people constantly learn and grow. Poor people think they already know.

[Note: Keep in mind that in the book, on page 52, Harv explains why and in what sense he compares generally the rich with the poor. Anyone who read this book and reads this summary must withhold criticism by first understanding the context of his writing.]

I like this book because Harv was brutally honest and straight to the point, this book is short (just 200-pages) but filled with great insights, there are much practical advice and actionable tips, clear presentations and these wealth files can be applied not just to money but to virtually any aspect of life. The first part of this book, Your Money Blueprint, is very basic for having a positive millionaire mind. Even if you’re not interested in becoming rich after you read this book, you’ll surely be inspired by this part. Now, what I don’t like about this book are 1) No doubt Harv writes a lot about his seminar to the point of very annoying me; 2) Harv is so focused on teaching about being rich in terms of money that he might miss the other aspect of being rich such as morally, spiritually, peacefully and contented rich life; and 3) The Bible doesn’t say “Money is the root of evil” as Harv said in this book. It is the “Love of money” that “is the root of evil.” In all, I enjoy reading this book. I wish I read this book earlier.

I Have A Millionaire's Mind!
THINK BIG. START SMALL. GO DEEP.

Best Blogger Tips

No comments:

Post a Comment

They Click it A lot. [Top 7 last 7 Days]